Author Topic: help me pick my next new firearm  (Read 2462 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: help me pick my next new firearm
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »

McWood ole buddy, you are killing me.   Out to 200 yards, the .30-30 and .308 throw similar weight bullets at similar speeds?   What?   In most factory ammo, the .30-30 throws a 170 grain bullet at 200 yards at around 1,600 feet per second, whereas the .308 throws a 180 grain bullet at 200 yards at around 1,950 feet per second.  Doesn't sound so similar to me. :-)   And, an Elk will be able to tell the difference between the two.

Empty Quive my friend, the guy asked for the fewest guns possible to cover his HUNTING needs.  And you're telling him to buy a defensive handgun and also a big bore handgun for hunting? 

I surrender.  I give up!  :-)

Manny

I wrote Deer not elk. 
don't give up.  You're no quitter!

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »

McWood ole buddy, you are killing me.   Out to 200 yards, the .30-30 and .308 throw similar weight bullets at similar speeds?   What?   In most factory ammo, the .30-30 throws a 170 grain bullet at 200 yards at around 1,600 feet per second, whereas the .308 throws a 180 grain bullet at 200 yards at around 1,950 feet per second.  Doesn't sound so similar to me. :-)   And, an Elk will be able to tell the difference between the two.

Empty Quive my friend, the guy asked for the fewest guns possible to cover his HUNTING needs.  And you're telling him to buy a defensive handgun and also a big bore handgun for hunting? 

I surrender.  I give up!  :-)

Manny

I just can't subscribe to the how few school ;D . I tried, surely I did. ;)

Man has a .22, a shotgun, and a 30/30. I probably should'a suggested selling the .22 and the 30/30. Learn to stalk and you have no need for a long distance firearm at all. A 20ga slug will kill a Kenworth (shot placement baby)all day every day.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 05:29:18 AM »
update..
 ok i picked up my new rifle today.  with the help and advice i asked for here , i made my choice.
i got a remington 700 SPS in  .308 win with  a heavy barrel .
 my local gun shop took in on a trade, from the original owner who bought it from them in the first place.
so they know the history of the rifle. anyhow i got it for $400 and tax out the door.
 it has the black polymer stock with the vented forend and bipod mount stud.
 it has the heavy barrel with no rifle sights only a scope mount.
its all black but the end of the bolt and trigger which are stainless.
for now thats all i got to report  ;D