Author Topic: Question on tappered bullets  (Read 570 times)

Offline JBMauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Question on tappered bullets
« on: January 31, 2004, 03:16:09 PM »
I have read of dies and moulds that throw a tapper into a bullet.  The base being larger.  My new Lee 405 hb in .45cal has a built in tapper.  The base is .462/.465 and the first band is .460/.462.  My question is this, how do you get any kind of concentricity with the base larger than the head, As I play with these bullets with unsixed brass the base is snug and you can wobble the head.  JB

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 03:50:16 PM »
Good point.  But look at what happens when the boolet moves forward.  The front of the boolet locates when a ring of contact is made with the forcing cone (that's the forward point or ring of support).  At the back the base of the boolet is located by the cartridge at this point.  The variables back here are the uniformity of thickness of brass of the neck (hence outside neck turning to make that uniform) and the amount of clearance (hence either sizing the neck only half way (the rear of the neck remains unsized and in contact with the neck of the chamber - keeping the rest of the neck centered; OR having a minimum size neck chamber with only .001 or .002" clearance between the neck of a loaded round and the neck of the chamber.  That's concentricity between the boolet axis and the axis of the bore in a nutshell.  Some benchrest shooters will use a loading tool to ensure the concentricity.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 06:27:48 AM »
duplicate.

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 06:56:26 AM »
As the bullet moves forward and is lifted (we will assume that the bullet as tappered lies down as by gravity) by the forcing cone.  The rear and larger dia. is still held though canted in the brass neck.  I would think that the rifling will engage the outer band at some point and that which ever way the bullet is pointed at that time though somewhat centered will plow its way down the barrel at some canted angle.  I guess the best ourcome would be some kind of die like the Lee Factory crimp die which would crimp and center up the front band.  JB

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 07:08:51 AM »
I think that is why cast bullets generally do better by loading them so they contact the throat firmly - before ignition.  That would align the bullet so that when it's shoved violently it's already in alignment.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 11:23:40 AM »
Hello,You two
I have a 30 cal custom adjustable mould,which is tapered.
Is this a benifit? should I cast longer(heavier) bullets becaus they would be more tapered?
I did'nt order a tapered bullet;it just arrived that way. I have some bullets cast,but have not really tested it.That is why the dumbish question.
Thanks,
Frank
Frank