Author Topic: wish i had swampys midas touch!  (Read 2976 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: wish i had swampys midas touch!
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2012, 02:41:08 PM »
I havent forgoten you guys. I just havent been able to get out shooting for a couple days to try that last batch of loads. I doubt tommarow either as were suppose to get thunderstorms all day and ive got some lake trout brining for the smoker tomarow but maybe ill get out Wednsday and try them.

Everything in its time....  Enjoy my friend!!

I can't say I have a good reason for sticking with 180 + bullets in my '06's. I know 180 is about optimal as any heavier the balance of velocity/energy and bullet weight begins to become unbalanced. If you pick your bullets, the days of non expansion of 180's on deer are gone. Some 180's are best left to the magnums while others will work well in the 300 Savage... Another reason I like the RN bullet. You really don't loose enough to mention unless your shooting past 300 and reguardless of what many say. (Our friend, Roger EXCLUDED)  300 yards is farther then most of us have any business shooting. ::)

As I mentioned somewhere, I load 150 semi pointed Norma bullets in a '06 for a very good hunting friend.::) He LOVES them!! For me I'll take the 30-30. 300 Savage or even the 308 for the light bullets. My 307 is dedicated to the discontinued Speer 165 RN bullet. Its an awesome bullet @ 308 velocities!

Bad barrel is about as good a reason as I could think of. As I mentioned I have had a 'few' Rugers and yet to see one that shot well. My brother has a real good shooter in 270 stainless steel.

Best of luck making yours shoot!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2012, 11:17:30 AM »
well i surrendered today. I went in the local gun shop and they had a brand new saiga 12 guage on the rack. the guy who bought it died of cancer before he could even try it out. His wife had it there on consignment. I asked the shop owner if he would take an 06 ruger on trade and he traded me even up for it. I told him it wasnt a tack driver and he said it didnt matter as long as it said ruger on it someone would buy it. Aint that the sad truth. Shot about a 100 rounds out of the saiga today. that thing is a ball to shoot. Recoil is real mild. Buckshot loads felt like 2 3/4 20 guage shells in a pump gun. I got a 5 round mag with it and two 10 rounders. I need to get me a 20 round drum for it now :P
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »
  WHAT??? You got tired of throwing money at that Ruger to get it to where it SHOULD HAVE BEEN from the factory???

DM

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2012, 12:44:45 AM »
couldnt have said it any better!
  WHAT??? You got tired of throwing money at that Ruger to get it to where it SHOULD HAVE BEEN from the factory???

DM
blue lives matter