Author Topic: The real reason I like cannons.  (Read 717 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
The real reason I like cannons.
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »
 At an early age, I knew I was different from other boys...

Just had to have me a 50 BMG, so built one when I was 25. Bought a Desert Eagle in 44 Mag shortly after they were released. Later came a Ruger M77 African in 458 Win Mag. Shotguns had to be 3" 12 ga.

Today I have 23 rimfires and about that many airguns. Still have a pile of larger bores but they don't get out nearly as often as my wimp guns. It's relaxing to pull the trigger and see a projectile hit the target through the scope. My flinch has all but disappeared.

However, we can't fight DNA. I was born into a body with magnumitis.

Fortunately, with cannons/mortars, I can have a big-bore experience without loosened fillings, rotator cuff surgury or detatched retinas.  :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: The real reason I like cannons.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 01:36:30 AM »
I still have the Big Bang Carbide cannon my dad bought me when I was about 7.
If I had to listen to a kid shooting that thing off continuously, all summer long the way I did for years on end, there would be police, talks with the parents and probably anger management classes involved.
I really don't understand how anybody tolerated it.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 02:38:26 AM »
I kind of fell into the cannons . I started as a Field Artillary Fire conlrol man in 77 , but I fell in love with machine guns in Korea . This was my passion thruogh out my career , when I retired from the Guard , I was no longer getting my annual full auto fix so I had to find a new way to get the blood pumping . Ivarforkbeard had a 30 mm barrel he wanted to make a cannon out of and in my research I found this site . Now I can have my fun without the special permits . Armorer77

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 03:05:41 AM »
Guns are like drugs.  You start out small and work your way up to the hard stuff.  At least that's how I did it.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 10:59:22 AM »
Topic: "The real reason I like cannons."

Like is perhaps too mild a word to accurately describe my real feelings about this subject, so I might as well just fess up, and admit that I jus' loves artillery.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »
Speaking of loving Artillery, I hit up a yard sale, and rummaging around in a big box of odds and ends, I found a beautiful ole wall plaque, a shield with an Eagle at the top, wings outspread, over another shield  with the letters "U. S.", holding a flaming bomb, and a scroll proclaiming "American Ordnance Association". Underneath it all is a pair of crossed cannons. Looked it up on Google, under "American Ordnance Association Plaque", and there was a great pic of the plaque!  BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 03:22:26 AM »
Speaking of loving Artillery, I hit up a yard sale, and rummaging around in a big box of odds and ends, I found a beautiful ole wall plaque, a shield with an Eagle at the top, wings outspread, over another shield  with the letters "U. S.", holding a flaming bomb, and a scroll proclaiming "American Ordnance Association". Underneath it all is a pair of crossed cannons. Looked it up on Google, under "American Ordnance Association Plaque", and there was a great pic of the plaque!  BoomLover

Good find, Jim!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Online JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »
History is authentic. It's steel, iron, grease, brass, rope,  and wood.  It's blood , sweat and tears. Atillery is heavy, it has substance and it makes you feel the power of the moment. My study Of Admiral John J Dahlgren culminated in a spot-on reproduction of a 7 shellgun inch by Dom.  My study of the American Revolution lead to a howitzer from HMR.  My first piece was an SBR mortar. Shooting golf ball scale, and then comparing them to the real scale pieces, and the men that ran these beauties is very enjoyable.

You all know what I mean, it's just hard to describe!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 01:43:32 AM »
What's not to like? 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 06:29:19 AM »
       I think it’s the history of their development and use which originally got my attention.  Today it’s pretty much the same when we are not trying to bring a part of that history to life by making scale re-creations of some famous guns.  By reading about foreign artillery development, we in the U.S. can understand better how our artillery came to look like it did in the Civil War.  From the use of the great bombards of Constantinople against the British fleet to the development of Mallet’s Mortar in England for use in the Crimea, we can begin to have a little understanding of how these giant siege guns were promoted by people with grand designs of conquest and some with kingdoms to lose if they failed to do everything to defend them.

I think the reason that I always return to reading about our Civil War, is the fact that we have a multitude of stories, each  with a volume of detail.  How could you possibly read about the courageous Confederate Officer who was stationed at the most bombarded place in North or South America, Ft. Sumter, South Carolina and not be interested?  His job, in 1863, was to crawl to the back of the powder magazine closest to the Federal batteries on Morris Island and listen for the impact of the heavy bolts and shells from the Parrott 200 pdr. and 300 pdr. batteries.  They would smack into the masonry rubble, bore through undamaged masonry, halt, and then, a moment later, the grinding sound of their continued rotation would stop.  He would estimate from these sounds how much distance separated these projectiles from the powder magazine.  Talk about a scary job!

There are many others, of course, but that’s my favorite.

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling