Author Topic: Just thinkin...  (Read 653 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Just thinkin...
« on: June 04, 2012, 05:47:06 AM »
Anyone ever tried to open up a .358 Lee sizing die to .359?  how could it be done?   ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Just thinkin...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:34:59 PM »
Easy. In fact, I did one last week. Chuck up on a split dowel or aluminum rod in the drill press, hold the die in the vise making sure it is straight up and down. Wrap some 320 grit sandpaper on the dowel to the right diameter, set the spindle pretty fast, and have at it. Up and down fast, check the bore every 50 strokes or so with guage pins, and when the one you want will just BARELY go, you're done. This is pretty much SOP for me and Lee sizers since they come from the factory so rough on the bore that they're all but unusable. Once you polish them out to a good finish they're so much nicer to use and don't lead up. Making a new hardened pusher real close to the bore diameter helps too and prevents finning or rolling the bullet over on the edges.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline facetious

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »
after doing it like he did, finish up with some flitz polish. It will be so smooth it will feel like you lubed the booit's.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 03:49:14 AM »
Good info fellows!  Thanks!   ;D

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club