Author Topic: which scope for a remy 700  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
which scope for a remy 700
« on: May 25, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »
not wanting to discuss brand for now..  i was wondering what power scope would be best for a remmy 700 in 308 ?
 thinking about power, objective lens and what would be too big or small .. for hunting  hogs , deer , bear ..

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: which scope for a remy 700
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »
Let the power of your scope go along with your hunting distances. If you hunt mostly woods and small openings something like a 3x9x40 or 3x9x50 will do fine. If you have the opportunity to do some long range shooting I would move on up to at least a 14 power on the top end. My Savage Model 16 FCSS in 308 sports a 4x16x50 mil dot as on my hunting land there are some shots that can be in the 400 yard range or maybe a bit more.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »
Unless you are going to shoot long range, a 2-7x30 should work very well.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
2x7
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 01:01:15 AM »
yup but the best quality 2x7 you can afford
blue lives matter

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 05:05:27 AM »
3-9X40

2-7 or  4-12
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 would be ideal. If ya got it in the budget you might think about the Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 instead. I use these two on a lot of my hunting rifles as well as the VX-II 3-9.

For night time hog hunting about the best scope we own is a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6. It is unreal how little light is needed to see to shoot at night with that scope. It's on my wife's Model Seven 7-08 and has been since our last night time hunt there several years ago.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »
the votes so far, say 2x7 or 3x9 power scope.  regardless of brand name, is there any special options i should look for ?
should i worry about not having a certain feature ? or something to stay away from ?

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »
Leupold 2x7 2piece leupold mounts no higher the a medium ring height. oh and leupold rings

IMHO
Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
ok, i went and picked myself up a new scope today.
i got a 3x9 by 40 simmons 8-point with fast focus ring.
i got  a weaver base and rings to set it up with, both in aluminum
so i'll see how it works getting it dialed in and zero'd .

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »
I would have suggested the Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40.  When the Simmons quits working you might consider it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
well i know there are better scopes out there for sure.
 i cant , right now , afford a higher dollar scope. but i do have a simmons 4x on my 45-70 and it handles whatever load i shoot and im not sensative to recoil  ;) its held for 3 years now, so i got my moneys worth i  think.
if this 8-point lasts that long on my 700 then i'll be happy there too.
honestly, i have simmons, bushnell  and barska scopes and i really have not had an issue yet, maybe i been lucky so far.
 but i did ask for opinions, so thanks for the input and i'll keep the nikon in mind

Offline 31 bertram

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 10:17:34 PM »
I've always used 3x9x40 scopes, seems that there's always good deals on that power range.  I've had a 3x9x40 FF II Burris for about 12 years sitting on my MK V 257 Weatherby.  I put it on as a temporary until I could get something a little better but I like it just fine.  It has been tougher than nails, fully multi-coated, tough steel on steel adjustments.  If it dies tomorrow it doesn't owe me a thing. I picked up another one for a spare on closeout (gloss) for $119.95   

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 04:53:45 AM »
thats how i feel about the simmons i just picked up. if i use it for a few years, i got my moneys worth. but like i said , my other simmons, a 4x blazer model, holds up just fine to the recoil of my 45-70.  i felt the 2x7 was just not enough for some of the longer shots i can take. so i got the 3x9 which should be just about perfect.  i think there are always a deal on a 3x9 is becasue they are the most popular power and so there is a higher turn over, and a higher demand for a 'new' 3x9 new model.  if that makes any sense.
i try and put the right quality scope on my firearms,  a barksa 4x sits  on my .22 marlin.
and the 4x simmons sits on my 45-70 and a bushnell 3x9 sits on my .243
i think ( and having asked for opinions ) that the 3x9 on the 308 is right , and if it does fail , i'll go get a better scope,  but it will be a 3x9 im sure.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 05:06:56 AM »
there is a good reason he 3-9 is the most popular
its the most versitile

3  reasons to choose the 40mm   over the 5mm front lens
scope needs to be mounted higher for the 50
added size and weight....
added stress  on mounts due to hight AND weight

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 05:50:13 AM »
yes i would agree with that. the 3x9 seems to fit just about any hunting situation very well.
 i did look at the 50mm but as you said, the weight and size of it seemed to outweight the benefits.
i got a weaver picatinny style rail and weaver tall rings and the scope fits just about perfect on the rifle.
one small issue though, the simmons 8-point has 3 and 3/4 of eye relief , so i had to set the front ring in the furthermost slot on the rail so i could get the scope far enough away from my eye. so the issue is the adjustment knobs are very close, near touching the front ring. its not really a function issue.. more that it looks a bit odd to me. 
but thats where it needs to ride. i set the reticle center with a mirror , put my bore sighter on it to set the left to right adjustment on center and adjust the focus on a 100 yard target. all it needs to get zeroed at the range now.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 06:25:04 PM »
If your really worried about weight of the scope than get a good fixed 6x42 scope.

Four 6x42's

No power rings to twiddle just pick up, shoulder, align reticle on target and squeeze the trigger .......................................... Simples.

Of the variable scopes I have most are set on 6x and that's where they stay. Oh yes I do own a couple of 7x50 scopes ................................ yes I liked simple fixed power scopes.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »
Oh yes I had very bad luck with the new Simmons master series scopes. I brought a brand new 3.5-10 Aetec and put it on the P-H 1200C 25-06 I had just acquired and  well I thought the rifle was a lemon as it would not group then suddenly the shots moved about so i swapped scopes and grouping became consistent  ??? . Sent the scope back and got a replacement. Fitted it and the same problem happened again. Two scopes of the same make and model both with the same problem. Not good.

The vendor offered a different make to try and well frankly it was horrible so I sold it on and robbed the 6x42 off another rifle and plonked that one ................................ problem solved. Luckily I had a 7x50 Meopta spare so that's now on the Medwell & Perritt that I robbed the 6x42 off. Tried the 7x50 on the Leupold mounts but they were not having it. The Apels on the Medwell had more height sooooooooooooooo.

I do have a Simmons Master series Pro Hunter 4-10 on a .222 rifle. On that one the FOV is not as good as the Aetec and the click adjustments do not feel as positive but it seems to be holding up under the light recoil. I had to make up a disc for the windage adjustment as when i unscrewed the cap when zeroing it on the range the factory sticker blew off and was never seen again................................. nice. Now I didn't know which way to turn it for the corrections required. I figured it our and as I said made one up out of a sticky label. So far it's still in place.

I would not bother buying another of these Simmons as the quality control seems to be very iffy.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 01:35:16 AM »
some nice looking pieces there brithunter
If your really worried about weight of the scope than get a good fixed 6x42 scope.

Four 6x42's

No power rings to twiddle just pick up, shoulder, align reticle on target and squeeze the trigger .......................................... Simples.

Of the variable scopes I have most are set on 6x and that's where they stay. Oh yes I do own a couple of 7x50 scopes ................................ yes I liked simple fixed power scopes.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 01:55:33 AM »
not wanting to discuss brand for now..  i was wondering what power scope would be best for a remmy 700 in 308 ?
 thinking about power, objective lens and what would be too big or small .. for hunting  hogs , deer , bear ..
3-9X40 would be nice all around , in the woods 2-7X 36 would be less prone to hanging on things.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »
hanging on things ? like branches and whatnot ?

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 02:03:30 PM »
Since most of my hunting was long range here in the west, my hunting rifles all had high quality high mag scopes.   To hit small at long range you have to aim small, simple as that.   But for the three animals you mentioned at more normal hunting ranges I would go with a 2-7.   A quality 2-7 has more than enough mags for fairly long range, small enough mags for close and night time shooting.   I would have also opted for a fixed objective for jump shooting/spot and stalk like I alwasy did if the ranges would have been less on average.   All too often you just don't have time to fiddle with both mags and objectives when game suddenly shows up where not expected.

A Remy 700 is a fine rifle and the 308 a fine cartridge, so they deserve a fine scope to guide them.   I've always thought that with all the money spent just to go hunting, relying on less than stellar equipment to do so is a bad investment and unethical.   So I always bought the best, even when it meant saving up for it to do so rather than just get by with less.

YMMV

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 02:19:07 AM »
hanging on things ? like branches and whatnot ?

Yep , around here anyway.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 10:33:06 AM »
yeah, the smaller the scope, the less it might get caught on branches, but where i live we dont have any whatnots.  ;D but we are lousy with what's-its ..
seriously, i sat my 4x next to my 3x9 and the 39x is only a bit longer then the 4x and the ocular ? bell is the thing thats noticable larger.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 12:00:12 AM »
i like a smaller more compact scope. Mostly though because they look better and are lighter. I hunt in the swamps of the UP of mich. and if youve ever been there you know there isnt many swamps any thicker and i can NEVER remember a scope of any kind hanging up on brush. For that matter in all reality a longer barrled gun isnt  the albatross people make it out to be in the thick stuff either. Again i like them but mostly because they look better to me and are lighter.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »
Ya'll need to come on down to Va , NC or SC and experince briers that tear off a pair of good hunting pants in a season, slice thru good leather hunting boots in a season . Vines thick as a forearm so thick you can't get thru. We have some plants that grow a foot a day. I have seen briers that were so thick when snow laid them over they looked like a matt and you could stand on top of them. Honeysuckle that covered acres . In some places like cut overs where the new pines are comming up but only a few feet high the stuff is so thick you have to crawl to get thru. Thank goodness the timber companies are starting to spray for weeds now.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 07:00:46 AM »
A fixed 6x or 4x as a first choice and a 2x7, 1.5x6, or 3x9 as a second choice with a thick reticle in the one I chose. I listed the scopes in the order I would choose one. No objective lens size over 42mm.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »
Lloyd..
 yep, when i got the 45-70 with the long barrel, i was told that i wasnt going to like it for hunting.. i never have any issue with it.
 i hunt the gwinn swamp alot, near the small town of Rock in the UP. my brother has a place there.
 and, ive to the black lake swamp area, and hunted the river bottoms, against several peoples warnings, never had the barrel or scope get caught or even bumped. yes , the overall size of the scope is a consideration, but more looking at weight then anything else i think..

shootall, ive been to all 3 of them states. its beautiful there, but i didnt get a chance to hunt, so i'll take your word for it.
              but the size diff between my 4x and my 3x9 is small , i dont know about the weight diff. but im not doing any crawling around where i hunt, well,  not alot anyhow, lol...