Author Topic: Field Artillery picture thread  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Leatherneck

• Trade Count: (0)
Field Artillery picture thread
« on: May 28, 2012, 06:03:18 AM »
Russian Gunner
HI RES (all Napoleonic era guns)
SOURCE: OSPREY PUBLISHING
Click to enlarge.

Austrian Gunner

Austrian 6 Pdr

French 12 Pdrs in action

Canister at close range takes out a chunk of the British line.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Field Artillery picture thread
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:45:07 AM »
Thanks for opening this topic, Leatherneck. For those with a fresh curiosity to learn about historical artillery, Osprey Publishing has a series of concise, well illustrated books on the subject.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:08:53 AM »
You're welcome. Im still reading up on the background histories of all the guns that I own so I have a complete picture and context in which they were used.
I recently read something where it read that one shot of canister was equivalent to a musket volley by battalion of infantry. Apparently over 50% of the musket balls coming out of the can would find their marks. Accuracy higher than than of a musket volley (according to the site)

I normally do small scale battle re-enactments where I line up a row of cardboard soldiers at about 30yds and try to see the effects of 1/6 scale grape and canister shot.
Shooting balloons at 50yds is also fun.

Anyways Im still learning, and it looks like this might be a lifetime hobby for me, beside shooting rifles and pistols in competition.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:02:49 AM »

Illustration D: Sperrschusse (Chainshot) is something new to me, at least in this form; and the text describes it as being primarily intended for anti-battery use (interesting).
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »
Ive taught about this myself and it would make alot of sense.

Im working on 4 Gabion baskets to place in front of my gun to add a bit more historic feel.
The idea is to protect the front and sides of the carriage wheels from something like round or chainshot. I read that even a single round shot fired at an oblique at an enemy artillery piece could chew up the wheels or the split trails and render the entire piece useless.

source:http://www.syler.com/SiegeWarfare/outside/gabions.html

Now Im just trying to find out if spherical case was ever shot from cannons in the 1810s.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 07:57:28 AM »
Now Im just trying to find out if spherical case was ever shot from cannons in the 1810s.

The answer is yes, if you're referring to Henry Shrapnel's "spherical case". Spherical case was put into production by Britain near the beginning of the 1800's, and was in use until the end of the smoothbore era.

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:55:09 AM »
Canoneer, do you mean that spherical shell was shot from both howitzer and cannon? How common was this in non British artillery regiments in the 1810s and 20s?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »
Leatherneck,
The British first used spherical case shot in battle against the Dutch in Surinam, 1804.
Here's a PDF titled "Henry Shrapnel and Family," with a list of "Correspondence Relating to the Use of Spherical Case Shot," and "Range Tables" that list the artillery pieces which used his invention.

http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000372.pdf

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 01:50:45 PM »
This is way more than I asked for  ;D