Author Topic: Cannon Worm?  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Cannon Worm?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 08:34:56 PM »
For any chance of making one of those easily, you will have to make some tooling to hold the barstock while you are bending it.  It needs an open slot across one end for the round to go through while bending and to slide off the fixture when it is done.It will need a bolt on handle so you can clamp and otherwise manipulate it while forming.  It would be nice to have grooves on the sides to guide the forming but those would be hard to do unless you can do helical milling.

I though about tracing the lines around a piece or round bar and just grinding them out with a hand grinder. Then I though about tacking the small round bar to the larger bar. Then manipulating them along the groves with torch and gloves, hammer and what not. After its all in place cut my tacks and move on from there. 

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 02:35:04 AM »
dockholiday,  PM sent. 

Offline lthardman

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
OK, you guys are probably going to get quite a laugh out of this, but here goes. 

While wandering the aisles at a local big box store, I came upon some dog tie-out stakes.  The kind that screws into the ground.  I noticed the screw part was just about golf ball sized.  I spent $1.19 for one.  I took it home and cut off the screw (in-ground) portion of the tie-out stake.  I found that a 7/8 inch dowel could be inserted ever so tightly and securely into the end of it, made even more secure with a generous but neatly applied helping of epoxy.  Next, I reduced the diameter of the coil (screw) using a grinder.  I would grind, try it in the golf ball bore of my barell, then grind some more.  After about an hour's work grinding, I had a functioning worm, even if was only a single helix instead of a double.  Spent some time making it look nicer with stain, varnish and paint.  Like I said, I'm sure you are getting a good laugh out of this but it works. 

Since then , I bought a couple nice duble coil worm heads from Dominick, but I still use my homemade (and cheap) semi worm.

Offline lthardman

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 06:16:33 AM »
You can see the make-shift semi-worm I described above in the foreground of this picture.