Author Topic: Savage Axis  (Read 1152 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Savage Axis
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:45:53 PM »
I bought a Savage Axis today, in .223.  At the price, it seems surprizingly well put together.  I will pick up a scope base tomorrow, and try her out this weekend.  I've got a tray of various reloads to see what formula it likes.  Hoping to shoot 60, and 70 gr. bullets well, as it is a 1 in 9 twist.

You guys had your hands on these yet?

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Savage Axis
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:23:32 PM »
I picked one up in 22-250 a while back. Took it down and it has the old style Savage triger, which I can live with, but totally floored was that there was no recoil lug on the barrel. The frount of the action has been milled out and there is coin like deal molded into the stock that fits between the action and the barrel nut that works as the recoil lug. I didn`t really care for the way they did it, but the gun is a tack driver and makes a real nice lite carry gun.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:58:23 PM »
It will be a day or two before I  can shoot this one, but I broke it down already, and polished everything up a bit in the action and trigger.  For the price, it looks ok.  You are correct about the recoil lug, just a wafer, but a .223 should be fine anyway.  If it shoots as good as they promise, I'll be very happy.  Academy has them for $249.00, an outstanding price for a bolt gun.

Ben

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »
I just got a Basix replacement trigger for my Axis. Simple to swap and easy to adjust. There is very little difference between the machining and parts needed between those two triggers. I would think for an additional 10 bucks tops of work and parts, Savage could have come up with a better trigger than the original.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »
I gave her a go with some 60 gr. spire points, got some sub MOA groups at 100.  The scope I mounted is one I took on trade, and It won't move far enough to get on bullseye.  I will try my old trusty Bushnell next.  If that don't make it I will have to invest in tha fancy Leupold base so I can center it...In any event, I had sub moa with just about every load I tried.  It's a keeper.
Ben

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 02:04:17 PM »
i have one in 243 and it is accurtae well past my ability with my hand loads. Just wish there was aftermarket stock. it might make it in the woods if so but that stock is bad.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 04:01:44 AM »
Try Richardson Micro fit in CA. Hard to get hold of by phone or e-mail. They seem better in replying to a fax.  They make wood and laminated stocks for just about any rifle with a single piece stock in various grades and color schemes for the laminates
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »
i have one in 243 and it is accurtae well past my ability with my hand loads. Just wish there was aftermarket stock. it might make it in the woods if so but that stock is bad.

For now, I will leave my stock alone.  With anodized metal and the composite stock, it's pretty weather proof.  And at less than $300.00 out the door, I won't get super excited about a scratch or two.

Ben

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 08:53:18 AM »
I gave her a go with some 60 gr. spire points, got some sub MOA groups at 100.  The scope I mounted is one I took on trade, and It won't move far enough to get on bullseye.  I will try my old trusty Bushnell next.  If that don't make it I will have to invest in tha fancy Leupold base so I can center it...In any event, I had sub moa with just about every load I tried.  It's a keeper.
Ben
had to shim mine to get it on paper and sight in...Does shoot good but I wish I hadn't had to resort to using a shim.. :-\
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(