Author Topic: R&D conversion cylinder questions  (Read 881 times)

Offline Matt85

• Trade Count: (0)
R&D conversion cylinder questions
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:57:14 PM »
ive been kicken around the idea of getting a conversion cylinder for the pietta new army i just bought, but i do have some questions for those of you who have used conversion cylinders before.

1. have you noticed any excessive leading in your barrels?

2. seeing that the twist rate on pistols designed to fire balls vrs pistols designed to fire cartridges are different... how is the accuracy using a 1 in 30 twist?

thanks!

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: R&D conversion cylinder questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:17:18 AM »
They will not lead much if you use black powder.  Smokeless will lead some, but not just because it's a conversion, it's because smokeless leads often depending on the bullet hardness.
I use light 200gr 44 bullets rather than heavier longer bullets to keep the required spin rate down.  There is only a problem at long range.  In a 36 Navy, I use Speer hollow base wad cutters, and the stability is helped by the arrowhead effect of the heavier nose in front of the hollow base.
Also, check the forcing cone, often, the forcing cone on a cap & ball is too abrupt for a longer and harder bullet than the roundball.  Have it recut to 11 degrees or so if necessary.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Re: R&D conversion cylinder questions
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 01:03:57 AM »
I  have R&D cylinders for a '58 Uberti Remington, 2 Ruger Old Armys and 2early Colts. All shoot better than the round ball. You can load your 45Colt ctgs with black powder but they are very dirty. Medium loads of smokeless work best. Any bullet bigger than 200gr. will be too long for the cylinder unless you deep seat the bullets. Tight crimps, because any bullet creep will stop the cylinder.

Its much easier to load your cartridges at home for a day of blasting.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill