Author Topic: Priming tool  (Read 1136 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Priming tool
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:34:15 AM »

My Lee hand priming tools are going to be replaced. I know I want an RCBS, I have read the reviews on Midway USA. Midsouth has better prices on the two I am looking at. I have narrowed it down to either the old style RCBS hand primer $37.33, or the standard RCBS Bench priming tool $85.00. Which would you get? I am only interested in one or the other of these two RCBS priming tools. From the reviews I read on Midway the new universal shell holder RCBS hand held tool dose not work well with the 45LC, and that is one of the rounds I reload. I do have Arthritics in my hands and was thinking the bench mount would be easier too operate, but loading the tubes could also be a problem. If you have one of these two what are your likes and dislikes, I reload 13 different rifle and pistol rounds. Thanks

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
Re: Priming tool
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »
I have never used the hand primer but am more than satisfied with my rcbs bench mount model.

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:39:24 AM »
I am assuming the bench mount will work with any standard shell holder, I have RCBS, Lee, and Lyman. I read a post on Midway the old style hand held had trouble with shell holders other than RCBS.

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »
I bought the RCBS hand priming tool to replace my aging Lee hand priming tools. I sent it back. The thing was wreck as compared to the simple LEE. The shell holders, if old, will not fit. RCBS will exchange them for you at no charge...if you have 6-8 weeks to wait. The issue is the old shell holders are a little bit deeper at the collar, the part that locks the shellholder in the press. They won't begin to go in a new RCBS hand primer. Can't say about the bench mounted unit. I'm still using the old Lee units and they still work like always.

FWIW, when I had issues with the shellholders not fitting, I called RCBS and they asked what was the most critical cartridges. I was in a hurry for 223 and 308. They sent me shellholders in overnite mail. They fit the priming tool but unfortunately you couldn't drive a round in BOTH shellholders with a sledge hammer. The slot milled into the shellholder for the cartridge rim was WAY too small. That's when it all went back to Midway.
YMMV

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 03:52:58 AM »
The order is in. After reading all the reviews on midway, bouncing some unanswered questions off the forums, checking prices and availability from various venders. Midsouth once again had the best price. From my research the RCBS bench mount seems to be my best option at $85.00, I will be eligible for A $10.00 rebate from RCBS. Anyone thinking of up grading to this priming tool, Midsouth dose list it as low stock.
Thanks for the help

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
 What Larry L. said…

Plus, the priming rod will fall right out if you time the primer a bit upside down.  The primer holding tray will fall right out if it is not inserted with some pressure.  It is a friction fit: Primers all over the floor.  The cartridges are put in the shell holder (if you can find one that will fit) and they must be held in place as the hand primer must be held at a slight tilt to allow the primers to move from the primer holder into the priming rod area…

Luckily I got mine with a large purchase of reloading equipment, powders, primers, bullets, etc.  I am dang glad I did not purchase this hand priming tool as a single component to my reloading hobby…

In all honesty, RCBS should be ashamed of themselves for putting this on the market…

I have two old Lee Auto Primers set up for small and large primers.  Years ago I purchased extra parts for them and they will not probably last me my reloading career.  They are a good setup for the price…

And so it goes…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »
lee hand held primer been working for me since they came out plain and simple.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:40:39 AM »
I have worn out three different lee hand primers.... Haven't used one in years now. Wouldn't take it of you gave it to me. I'm done with there pot metal garbage.

I don't have a lick of a problem with my RCBS hand primer. But I admit I don't use it too much either. Mine dosen't use shell holders.

I have used a RAM prime in the top of a cheap SS press for many thousands upon thousands of rounds. No issues.

About ten years back the RCBS rep brought in a couple priming systems for us to use. I was lucky enough to get a bench system. I really like it and have since I vested in a primer loader tray to load the APS strips as no one seems to carry them besides the fact they cost more... I LoVe IT!!

It's a bit costly, but works great!! Once the priming stem got jambed, but I was able to partially dis assemble and get it working quickly. Unsure why it happened... But it has gotten allot of use...

If your OK with spending the $$, you will like the APS system! I advise you also get the strip loader as I did. You can fill your own and save a few $$.

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 02:40:50 AM »
After breaking my old RCBS a few years ago, I ended up buying a Hornady hand primer. Had to modify it a little, as my Redding shellholders wouldn't quite fit. After opening it up a little, it works just fine. Use anybody else's shellholders and you don't have to do that. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Clodhopper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 09:42:03 AM »
After wearing out a couple of the Lee Auto Primes I bought an RCBS Universal hand primer a couple of years ago.  I have primed hundreds of cases running from .223 to .45-70 with no problems.  Got to remember to keep a little lube on the shell holder sliders and it works very well.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
Two Lee products I use religiously.  Their white case lube that comes in a tube and their hand primer.  I like to feel the primers being seated.  If you replace yours, send it to me.

Offline Clodhopper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 02:39:34 PM »
Never had any problem with the Lee Auto Prime tools, primed thousands of cases with them.  I too like to feel the primers being seated and wouldn't use anything but a hand primer.  Just my preference.

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »
Everybody has "their" way of doing things and probably none of it is wrong. Just what some folks prefer over something else. I've probably primed over 250,000 pieces of brass with my Lee hand priming tool and have zero issues with them. My brother couldn't make one last thru the first thousand rounds and he managed to break his. Different folks, different strokes. Find what fits your needs and stick with it. Problem with the Lee is that they don't make the old one anymore and the new one is a pain from what I've heard.

Offline Clodhopper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »
If I remember correctly, the reason that I bought the RCBS hand primer is because I couldn't find the Auto prime.  I prime a lot of ex-military cases (5.56 and 7.62) and if you miss swaging the primer pocket on one of those it will cause lots of wear and tear on the Lee or any other hand primer machine.  Have to pay attention to what you are doing!

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 11:39:31 PM »
I've owned a couple of the Lee priming tools for as long as I can remember. Both still work fine, don't use them much anymore because I load mostly pistol these days on a progressive press.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jhm

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 03:29:09 AM »
there were 2 different Lee hand priming tools made by 2 different Co.s I always liked the one with th screw in shell holders ( no longer made ) they were made by the Lee Tool Co. is what I was told by the Lee reloading Co.   Jim

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 02:42:51 AM »
I read all the reviews and the bench mount RCBS came last week. I bolted the priming tool too the bench, no trouble with priming tube staying in place, I followed the You-tube video for setting up the priming tool. First few small rifle primers it was double dropping primers, I checked the small priming ram/cup assembly it was too short, I backed the cup off the ram 2 turns and went on to prime 200 ( 223 cases) without a single problem.
 I have used the Lee handheld priming tools for years. If not for the Arthritic I may have continued with it. But I have used Lee equipment for years, and one thing I know from experience, 45 years of reloading, and bullet casting. Lee will get the job done, but in every aspect of reloading someone else makes a much better tool for the same job as Lee.
 At times I have bought Lee because money was tight, but as soon as I could replace it I did .I have yet too find a single Lee Reloading or casting tool that did not get the job done, but in every case, some playing with it was necessary to use it, They work, just not flawlessly every time like most of the better brands do. Service life with Lee items are much shorter than the other equipment available as well.

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 03:04:56 AM »
I've been wanting to replace my Lee hand priming tools as well. I kept two of them,one for large one for small,broke the lever on my small one. I was leaning towards Hornady's hand priming tool. I liked the Lee, if it were made of real metal they'd be hard to beat.

Offline pme166

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 03:35:50 AM »

Lee's break like this over time.  Here are two of them broken.  I find they are good for between 10 and 20 thousand rounds and then they break.  The older ones work better than the new ones but in the end they beak.  I keep three around so when i get two broken, I send them back and they replace them for the price of a new one.

They work well which is why I don't complain much.  I now use an RCBS one that is much nicer though.
357 Maximum, what the 357 Magnum was in the beginning.

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Hey that looks just like one of mine!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 06:07:10 AM »
Hey that looks just like one of mine!

Yea me too, IIRC I had one. Real there too but the other failed at the "dog bone". One of the ends came right off twice! If it was steel or any better quality material then "pot metal" I would still be using it!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.