Author Topic: what is 38 Colt Special cartridge  (Read 844 times)

Offline shinjin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Robin Martin, retired LEO, CEO Public Safety Agenc
what is 38 Colt Special cartridge
« on: June 19, 2012, 05:34:45 AM »
what is 38 Colt Special cartridge?
I bought a TEXAS RANGER in 38 Colt Special Cartridge and am trying to determine if OK to shoot light load 38 specials or if I need to reload 38 Long colts.
ALSO, is this a Black Powder firearm or can I safely shoot smokeless powder loads (low power no +P loads of course)?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: what is 38 Colt Special cartridge
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:19:47 AM »
shinjin

I did a check for 38 colt spl. and did not find anything  ??? Without some chamber and bore dia. numbers its hard to give you much info. The old 38 Long Colt round had a larger rim than the standard 38 spl. and also used a larger Dia. bullet - .361 just like the 38 S&W round .

On a side note , I have shot standard 38 spl. rounds in a 38 S&W cartridge revolver , the case's were buldged badly , yet were still able to be re-sized . You could try some standard 38's with a light load of Trail Boss and a cast bullet , BUT I don't think I would go much over that for now , this will also give you a case to measure for chamber numbers .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 04:48:56 AM »
The 38 Colt Special is the same exact case as the 38 Special, just a different name.  Colt did not want to put the Smith and Wesson name on their barrels so they went with their own name and bullet weight. You can shoot any 38 Special ammo in it but I'd avoid any +p ammo. Target loads would be even better.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 05:17:34 AM »
Thanks Larry , the one book I needed to look that one up I loaned out a year ago and it never made it back home .  ::)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:32:02 AM »
Yeah, I got a library of old gun books that some have gotten legs but couldn't find their way home. My books are open for anybody to read....as long as they don't leave the room.

Offline shinjin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »
Thanks guys. I remember now reading about the 38 Special name games between Colt and S&W. Similar to how we got New Police cartridges if memory serves me.

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »
Hello, shinjin.  I believe the rim dia. is the same on the .38 long colt as the special.  As far as the .38 long colt using a .361 dia. bullet...the early "heeled" bullets probably were..but later, around 1890, Colt made these cases inside lubed..meaning the bullet was seated inside the case..but the problem was the bulllet had to be reduced in dia. to fit so now became .357 dia. or so.  to allow this now undersized bullet to expand and take rifling in the original nominal .36 bore..the bullet base was made hollow..like an old style minnie bullet.  .38 long colts can be safely fired in modern .38 spec. guns.

Offline shinjin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 04:38:27 AM »
Cool! Thanks.
I have an R&D cylinder for my 1851 Uberti .36 cal that chambers 38 Long Colt. Since they are like hen's teeth around my town I load .36 round balls in 38 Special cases and shoot them at wadcutter velocities. Reasonable accuracy for Cowboy Action  Shooting and I got enough .38 special cases that i can ruin a few in a long colt chmaber and not get too worked up.