Author Topic: barska scope problem.  (Read 1596 times)

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
barska scope problem.
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »
was shooting my 44 with a barska scope on it .this i took of my 30-06 a while back .was shooting the 44 when the scope blurred taped scope got worse i really like this scope unscrewed the eye peice the lens was loose so i put it back in and tightened the locking ring worked good when i got home i took it apart again and steaked the lock ring with a very small chisel it won't come loose now problem  solved.checked my other two scopes they were tight steaked them to.first problem i have had from the but one Bushnell went bad i think it was the same problem but took it back to  Cabelas they gave a new one no problem. :)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: barska scope problem.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:54:05 AM »
you do realize that any nitrogen that was in the scope is probably long gone and its going to fog up bad on you now. Probably time for the trash can.
blue lives matter

Offline ratdog

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »
will see loyd thanks. ;)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
Here is a wild idea.  You don't have much to loose.  Take your scope and a five gallon bucket to a welding shop.  Disassemble the scope inside the bucket and have enough argon gas shot into the bucket to displace the atmospheric air.  Nothing but the argon.  It is probably heavier than air but work fast anyway.  Reassemble the scope inside the bucket.  Make sure the O-rings are good.

You may get enough of the inert gas into the scope to prevent it from fogging.  Since you don't have much invested, and nothing to loose, why not try it.

Let us know if it fogs when you get home after putting it inside your freezer for an hour.

Offline martineta

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Hunting Lodge Owner Uruguay
    • Paso del Puerto
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:39:27 AM »
Old native american saying. ;)
Cheap no good,,,,,,, Good no cheap.  :)
Buy American!  Love those Leupolds.
Kenneth Burnett
Paso del Puerto
Professional Hunter 34 years in Paraguay and Uruguay

Offline ratdog

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
charles p. i will try your fix im an old welder will have to find argon or nitrogen i think either will work . i don't really do much shooting now in cold weather thanks again.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »
lots of bother for a 50 dollar scope.
blue lives matter

Offline ratdog

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 10:43:33 PM »
fixed my scope found some argon nitrogen mix in a spray can recharged scope cost six bucks put in the freezer no fog. used it today no problems.loyd. ;D

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »
lots of bother for a 50 dollar scope.
Not lots of bother for 50 dollars, just a little bother to save 250 dollars. I've had lots of cheap scopes and generally have been quite satisfied with them. When there has been a problem I have been able to return the defective scope for a full refund. I've never lost a hunt nor even a shot due to my cheap scope and by saving $200 or more on each of the dozens of scope I've bought over the years I have had money to spend on lots of cheap guns, both of which have provided me lots of fun and lots of meat. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »
i have the same sentiments joe. i buy barska, bushnell and simmon scopes, i have no problems with them. and if they ever fail i have surely gotten my money out of them. i have not lost a hunt or shot myself and if i do i will not replace the $50 scope with a $200 dollar scope to prevent someting that has not happened in 25 years of hunting.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:25:17 AM »
If the purpose of the scope is plinking or target shooting, you may be correct, else I want something that will be there when I need it, this year, next year and 25 years from now.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »
yup me too. I just cant see paying good money for a rifle and then going cheap on the most important part of the gun. I want a scope i know isnt going to let me down during a hunt. not a big deal if your rabbit hunting with a 22 but on my big game rifles i dont want to blow a hunt missing or worse yet wounding an animal because i wanted to save a few bucks on cheap optics. You can talk to your blue in the face about how well theyve worked for you but this isnt my first rodeo. Ive been shooting and hunting for 45 years and have had MANY cheap scopes give up on me and some at times i really needed them to work. No more junk for this guy. If i have to save another 6 months to get a decent scope and put the gun in the safe till i can afford one then so be it. I chuckle at guys that will go and buy a cheap scope but own 30000 dollar trucks, 4 wheelers, motorcyles ect and dont bat an eyelash at putting some 200 dollar piece of chrome on them. I guess the differnce is hunting and shooting are my main hobby. Its a part of my life EVERY day. Its not something i get conserned about 3 days before hunting season. In every aspect of the sport, shooting, casting, reloading ect ive learned that a few more bucks at purchase time saves alot of agravation down the line. I guess not everyone is into shooting and hunting as much as me and that piece of chrome means more to them then a good scope. A cheap scope will get you by but then so will a 1000 dollar truck. At least for a while. But it can leave you in the woods when you least expect it. 
If the purpose of the scope is plinking or target shooting, you may be correct, else I want something that will be there when I need it, this year, next year and 25 years from now.
blue lives matter

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 01:01:50 AM »
Lloyd,  I went on a guided hunt in northern Idaho about five years ago.  A fellowed unpacked a rifle with a scope that was so ruined it had a double image.  It was impossible to shoot.  The guides range was 90 yards.  The client could not hit an area the size of a paint bucket at that range with the scope.  He was an accountant for an oil company in Arabia and earning several hundred thousand per year.  Go figure.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »
i was at the range last week my friend had a 25-06 he was messing with had a Leopold scope on it i asked him if i could could look through it the paralax was bad my cheaper barka and simmons are better i have had a simmons on my 243 for 30 years no problem most people that talk bad about things they have never owned i have had weaver bushnell go bad for no apparent reason.i wasn't that impressed about my sons redfield my old ones were better.same with guns some buy them because of brand names. well enough said. to each his own. ;D

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 11:42:42 AM »
The Barska's are nice low cost scopes.  I've never had any problem with them at all.  When I want a little better quality I buy a Swift, not cheap cheap, but reasonable and very nice for the money.  If you need to replace the Nitrogen in a scope just get a can of the computer dustoff stuff, it is perfectly dry and will do a great job of clearing out you scope and keeping it that way.  Biggest thing I find about the cheap scopes is that the adjustments are not as consistant as the high priced ones.  On a Barska three clicks left may really be three clicks left and one click up, or two clicks left and one down.  Just takes a little more time getting it sighted in.  From my experience, once they are on target they stay that way.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline 1armoured

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »
I've got a couple Barska 3-12x (airgun rated, so they're built to withstand recoil)

Never had any issues with them.

Good value for (my) money. Don't have much of it !

cheers,
SS