Author Topic: reloading for remington 760 pump  (Read 938 times)

Offline ferryboatcaptain

• Trade Count: (3)
reloading for remington 760 pump
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »
I would like to know if I will have to full length size my brass every time I reload it for my pump gun or will I get away with a neck size  a time or two. I have three rifles to load for , one mine and two for my dad , .308 and 6mm. I'm new to reloading and so far using new brass.
Any help would be great, thanks all                        FBC     

Basic training 1984
Diego Garcia  1985-87
NAS Pensacola 1987-90
NAS Whiting Field 1990- 91
1996 National Guard
Ft. Sill  2003
Pine Bluff Arsenal   2004- 05
Camp Taji, Iraq       2008
Thinking about retiring   2011
Turned in my retirement paper work  Jan. 2013

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: reloading for remington 760 pump
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
I   reload   for   the   exact    same   760   pump   .    My    experience   has   been    to   full   length   size  the    cases   .   Neck   sizeing   the   case   gave   me   problems  cycling   the    cartridges   without   useing   considerable   force.   

Offline josiah712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
I am a big fan of neck sizing, even in levers and pumps, but not autos.  I go the extra mile to make neck sizing work.  The brass last much longer, and there is something I like about cases that are fireformed to my chamber.  There is an accuracy advantage, albeit a minor one at best.

If you want to use the hotest loads on the chart, then I don't recommend it; you will need to full length size.  If you are willing to moderate a little then you can do it.  Choose nickel brass, it's much less clingy.  Choose a powder that makes strong performance at lower pressures, and provides high consistency over a broad range of pressures. Now you are ready to find the sweet spot where it shoots strong but extracts smooth under all conditions.  At some point your cases may work their way towards tight, and require full length sizing, or replacement.
"It is when the people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains"

Patrick Henry

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:10:41 PM »
If you are shooting a 760 or other pump rifle I'll answer under the assumption that you are planning to hunt with it. 

Having hunted with a 760 and reloaded for it and several semi-automatics over the years I would advise you to full length size.  For a hunting rifle in particular, the total number of loads you are likely to shoot simply doesn't add up to enough dollars saved by neck sizing to be worth a malfunction while hunting and a lost harvest opportunity.

Add to that the additional potential feeding and extraction challenges if any crud ever gets into the action while hunting and, in my mind, the potential upside just doesn't outweigh the potential downside.  Also, the 760 and similar rifles lacks the strong primary extraction of a bolt handle if you ever get a sticky case due to the tight tolerances from neck sizing.

Lance

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:04:15 AM »
I'd use a small base die.  My 1967 Model 742 cycles perfectly since I switched from a full lenth to a small base die.  I also recommend mid pressure loads and frequent case trimmings.  You rifle will love you for this.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »
My son and I both FL resize our bras for pumps. My son uses a small base die. I never have but it's not a bad idea. The 760/7600 rifles seem to have chambers on the tight side.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline ferryboatcaptain

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »
It sounds like th FL resize will be the way to go as I have a single shot, a pump and a bolt action in 308 and bolt action and a pump in 6mm. I will have to get the 3 die deluxe sets and it sould cover my needs.      thanks all for the great info         FBC

Basic training 1984
Diego Garcia  1985-87
NAS Pensacola 1987-90
NAS Whiting Field 1990- 91
1996 National Guard
Ft. Sill  2003
Pine Bluff Arsenal   2004- 05
Camp Taji, Iraq       2008
Thinking about retiring   2011
Turned in my retirement paper work  Jan. 2013

Offline hitman54

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 03:38:20 AM »
I agree with charles p. My experience with the 760 is to use a small base die. 100% reliable ammo.
Professional critter chaser
Go WVU Mountaineers!
Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader!

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
Quote from: mcbammer
I   reload   for   the   exact    same   760   pump   .    My    experience   has   been    to   full   length   size  the    cases   .   Neck   sizeing   the   case   gave   me   problems  cycling   the    cartridges   without   useing   considerable   force.

I like Remington's pump and S/A rifles, altho I sold my previous M7600 .308 rifflle!  I too would full-length size my ammo ..... unless I simply wanted to feed them one-at-a-time like an expensive single-shooter!

For hunting (or especially defensive loads?  reason the M7600 interested me!), durn RIGHT I'd full-length size everytime I reloaded "hunting loads!"  When a wall-hanger buck runs past you, that is NOT the time to have questionable (feeding) reloads!

Offline shot1

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:37:01 AM »
FL size and go easy on the pressure. The pumps do not have the loading and extracting power that a bolt rifle does. Also I would like to pass on to you a caution. There are no more parts made for the Rem 742 or 760 so if you break something it is a wall hanger unless you can find another rifle to get the part from and most likely it has the same part broken. With a 742 be sure and clean the rifles gas system and chamber and lightly oil them after shooting them. They do rust easy and that is the number one cause of BIG problems with them. Even light pitting of the chamber will cause the 742 to become a wall hanger. My friend that is a gunsmith passed this information on to me.