Author Topic: Cast bullets in a small caliber  (Read 671 times)

Offline 1armoured

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cast bullets in a small caliber
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:58:02 AM »
Anyone shoot cast in a 22hornet ?

We're waiting on a die and then will start the process.

Shot the Lyman 44gr RN some years ago in a shot out rifle, without much success, but now have better gear to have another go, this time with something a little different.

Any hints and tips great fully received.

Probably shoot over 4 or 5gr of 700X

cheers,
SS

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Cast bullets in a small caliber
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 05:44:10 AM »
I havn't, but am very interested in doing so. My interest is in a 40+ :-\ gr. bullet loaded around 12-13 hundred for squirrel...Going to have to wait awhile before I can aquire a mold though.. :'(
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 05:10:44 PM »
Hello, 1armoured.  When my custom Shillen barreled Borchardt finally was finished (1-14" twist),  I tried just about every jacketed bullet..including some expensive custom ones in it to establish an accuracy benchmark.  One of the most accurate was the 40gr. V-Max..this was shooting into the .3's at 100yds.
   Then I cleaned up the bore & started in on what I had always dreamed of doing..cast bullet shooting in a Hornet.  I tried just about every mould out there including an Eagan MX nose-pour.  Some shot ok..some excellent..but none were consistant.
   I also collect vintage moulds, and I found an original Ideal 22636..this dropped at 60grs..far too heavy for my use (must have been for the old .22-15-60 Stevens).  But it looked good..so, I chucked these up in a bench-lathe collet & faced them to 50grs.  I turned a gas-check shank on some.
   These prooved to be some of the most accurate to date.  So I sent samples of each off to Fred Leeth at Pioneer Products for nose-pour copies.
   I had to make up a tapered sizer die to size first band to match leade angle & dia.  5 years of constant experimentation later..and I finally equalled the best jacketed bullet accuracy out at 100yds.  Now I can't reproduce this each time out..but it is common enough to know it's no fluke.
   Unsatisfied with the available quality of .22 gas checks (bases wavy), even after annealing & flatening in press.  I finally had Corbin make up a reloading press punch & die set to remove center of check.  Verdict still out on this as I need more testing.
   One of the most interesting things I did find out in comparing the plain-base to gas-check was...for pure accuracy..NOT velocity..there is only a .3gr. (three tenths!) of a grain difference..the G.C. requiring more powder.
   The main advantage of the G.C...aside from permitting increased velocity is maintaining the same bore condition..by scraping any lead deposits.  In cleaning  after P.B.,,there are  very tiny specks  of lead on patch..though bore is not leaded..wheras with G.C., I find no lead particles on patch.  Best of luck with your Hornet!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
Excellent post .22-5-40.

I would think that the same rules apply to a .224 bore as to a .458 bore. Top velocity would depend on bullet alloy, gas check, lube type, etc. Best bullet weight/length would be determined by the twist rate. I would guess that a 50 grain round nose would be the absolute upper limit for a 1 - 16" twist and some where around 55 grains, maybe a little more for a 1 -14" twist. Bullet diameter should be .001 - .002 above the groove diameter. Careful loading techniques would need to be observed, so that lead would not be shaved off of the base or side when seating the bullet. Bore/throat condition is important as is the crown. And lastly, a lot of experimentation to wring out top accuracy.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »
Thanks guys,

I hope to be shooting RN flat points, 40gr+.

The rifle twists are 15.7:1" and 14:1", 23" and 22" barrels.

Shouldnt have any problems with them.

Not sure what velocity I want.

I'll see what the load brings, and watch for accuracy and leading.

cheers,
SS

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:41:48 PM »
Good Article by John Goins/aka "Beagle" over at castpics.net:  http://castpics.net/subsite2/ByCaliber/Cast%20Bullets%20in%20the%2022%20Hornet.pdf
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:41:56 AM »
Good Article by John Goins/aka "Beagle" over at castpics.net:  http://castpics.net/subsite2/ByCaliber/Cast%20Bullets%20in%20the%2022%20Hornet.pdf

Many thanks for the link.

I had a good read. Very interesting !

Can't wait to get some Hornet cast down range myself.

The two rifles, chambers, crowns and barrels are both pristine, and good shooters of regular projectiles.

I have 700X and Lil'Gun, and SP primers, and good brass,

So should be good to go,(if it ever stops raining !)

Just need to chamfer, and watch that I don't shave lead !!!

cheers,
SS