Author Topic: .357 Herrett Case Forming Dies  (Read 904 times)

Offline schuetzen

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
.357 Herrett Case Forming Dies
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:36:29 AM »

Does anyone have experience with RCBS's case forming dies to make .357 Herrett from .30-30 brass?  Is the neck reaming die a necessity?

RCBS #58273 .357 Herrett from .30-30 Win
RCBS #58274 .357 Herrett from .30-30 Win with Neck Ream Die

‎Is it really Zombie Max, if it's not .357 Max?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: .357 Herrett Case Forming Dies
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:53:16 AM »
I just used the sizer die myself.... I did find fire forming the cases gave more consistancy.

No neck reaming should not be necessary.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline schuetzen

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:07:12 AM »
Does one roughly cut to length a piece of 30-30 brass, followed by one pressing with the die?  Does this require fire forming the brass first?
‎Is it really Zombie Max, if it's not .357 Max?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:00:27 AM »
I just cleaned the 30-30 brass, lubed it up (be sure to get the inside of the neck) and ran it thru the die!

Once this is done, trim to length and load.

I had some problems with ignition and found that you need to be very careful NOT to move the shoulder when resizing once the case is fired.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 22popnsplat

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:27:59 AM »
I shoot the herrets in a Thompson contender , different guns may require different methods .I use 375 winchester brass for my 357 herrett and 30-30 for my 30 herrett , the 375 winchester brass is stronger and it makes it easy to tell at a glance what it is .Have never needed to ream . I use imperial sizing wax for case forming , I have not found anything that works better for me . I will usually cut a case close in length and then setup the sizing die to start to were the action will not close and then turn the die in 1/16th turn increments until the action will close without having to snap it closed .