Author Topic: Bushnell Back Track GPS  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Bushnell Back Track GPS
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »
Anyone have a Bushnell Back Track GPS? If so, how do you like it? I just got one and haven't got to try it out yet but it should be just what the doctor  ordered for ease of finding my way around in the woods when on strange ground. Along with my trusty compass I shouldn't get lost anyways. :) Pretty niffty little gadget if it works good. I like the fact that it's so simple to use.

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bushnell Back Track GPS
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »
Greatest invention in the 21st century (so far anyway)!  Simple enough even old guys like me can use it without getting out the manual every time.
My wife bought me one before early grouse season last fall.  Used it during early season, deer season, and late grouse season.  Great for exploring new areas, and old familiar ones for that matter.
Will always carry at least one compass because I figure being electronic it will at some point fail. However, it seems to be real easy on batteries - I used mine for 4 months of hunting season and still has the original batteries in it.
One thing I noticed was that it seems to be much more accurate when you calibrate it EACH TIME you use it if it's been off for a while, and especially before you mark your truck's location when first starting out.  It does take a minute or two to do the calibration routine, but it's worth it.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »
Spirithawk, please report when you use it.  I've only been lost once, and that's when I let it get too dark on me.  When I realized I was not sure at all of direction, I just found a spot and bunked down for the night.  No cellphone, so the old lady was scared stiff by the time I got back the next morning.  Now I have to draw her a map of where I'm going, to satisfy her.  Maybe it's time I moved to the 21st. century too.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »
Thanks Spruce. :)
This is very simple to use. It only holds up to 3 waypoints at a time but it's designed to be very easy to use and to get you there and back.. You push a button, select a waypoint and start walking. When ready to return an arrow points you the direction to go. You just follow the arrow back to your starting point. Kinda like a compass with a brain. lol It only measures 4" x 3 1/2" and is 3/4" thick. It's made so you can  attatch a clip to it for hanging it around your neck or clipping it onto a belt loop, ect. My son and I have long wanted a GPS for hunting that is not complicated to use and this sure fits the bill! :)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to pick one of those up before hunting season.  Will give Sweet Thang some peace of mind, and me as well.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 04:49:11 AM »
I tried it out & returned it when they first came out.  Since then I bought a garmin "Venture" HC which includes the downloadable topo map.  I thought at first it was difficult to learn to use but eventually figured most everything out.  For the extra $$$ I feel it pays to get a more conventional unit.  My boys have the same model and we can plan hunts using the downloaded map.  Dicks has them on sale from time to time.  (BTW I'm 66 and not very computer savy.)  If you know someone else who has similar Garmin models, they can teach you quickly how to be proficient.