Author Topic: 22 Hornet barrel on Huntsman  (Read 962 times)

Offline bluej

• Trade Count: (0)
22 Hornet barrel on Huntsman
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
Hello everyone,

I recently bought my first rifle, a 2006 Huntsman .50, and joined up here when I found this great forum. I never expected to find such a specific and active resource, wow!

I hope I haven't missed this answer in reading back through the site. Apparently other barrels are available for my gun, including a 22 Hornet. This isn't mentioned in the 2005 Barrel Accessory Program brochure that came with the gun, but it does appear on the hr1871.com Web site. I gather I have an SB2 since the model year is 2006.

So I'm wondering with the 22 Hornet barrel, and maybe the question is applicable to other replacement barrels too: do I need a different forearm? The 22 barrel can't possibly be the same outside diameter as the .50, can it?

Does anyone here have the Hornet + Huntsman configuration? How do you like it? How would you say it stacks up against an ordinary 1-shot 22? I would use the 22 for training and occasional varmint control.

Grateful for any insights and recommendations,
Jason

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: 22 Hornet barrel on Huntsman
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »
H&r will not install a hornet barrel on you huntsman frame. Your frame is an Sb1 large firing pin.  You could fit a hornet barrel yourself but you would have problems with primer flow because of firing pin.  Keep reading the facts and threads there are lots of discussions on this subject.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline bluej

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
Ok thanks for clearing that up. I must have been mistaken thinking I had read that 2006 would be an SB2 and didn't know about the firing pin difference. I can't find where I read it so I must have made it up.  :)

Cheers!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »
Some Huntsman came as combos on SB2 frames with a centerfire rifle barrel, the easiest way to find out what frame you have is call H&R and ask what accessory barrels can be fitted, they can tell by the serial number. But be aware, unless they've changed their policy they won't fit a firearm barrel to an Huntsman frame if you don't provide a copy of the 4473.

Tim

CW, you are correct, if the Huntsman has been registered with form #4473 with the BATF.  What I was saying is that with out the #4473 form, we can only fit muzzle loader barrels to a Huntsman frame. The Huntsman is not a legal firearm unless it is registered with the BATF. So anyone sending in a Huntsman frame for other than muzzle loader barrels must also send a copy of their BATF registration or we will refuse to install other barrels for legal reasons.

Brian@Remington:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluej

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 05:58:15 PM »
I will call HR to double check on my frame by serial number. I'm not sure about the 4473, I did have to get a background check to purchase the rifle so I wonder if the form would be on file at the store or something. Obviously I'm a noob with this stuff. Thanks for the replies!
Jason

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:20 AM »
Jason,

NEF did a run of some Huntsman Combo's, they were all blued and wood. There were 2 different SB1 combos, .50 cal/12ga smooth bore with bead, and .50 cal/12ga rifled bore with sights. The only SB2 combo they had was a .50 cal/.243 Win. These were produced back in the 2003 time frame, I don't think they were big sellers, because they were available for several years. I think they were all from that one run (over run). At least all the ones I ever seen had the plastic sights, which were changed to Williams Fire Sights in 2004. The breech plug is another giveaway, the combos would have been the older 7/8" plugs, if yours is a 2006 it should have the newer 5/8" breech plug. The breech plugs were changed in 2005.

If yours is a stainless steel barrel, nickle frame, with black synthetic stock, it is also a SB1 and can only be fittted with shotgun barrrels or muzzleloader barrels.

There is one way to be certain if your frame is a SB1 or an SB2. If you remove your stock and ther is only one threaded hole in the butt end of the reciever it is a SB1. If there is a threaded hole and other holes (skeletonized) from the investment casting, it would be a SB2, which is very unlikely.

H&R does have some newer combos that use the SB1 frame, but they are 12 ga/.44 mag, and 20 ga/.357 mag. Shotgun and pistol calibers, not high pressure center fire rifle calibers.

Good luck!

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
one other option, which I did myself.  it could be a rifle frame that was fitted with a 50 cal barrel.  I did that with a 30-06, then sold the 06 barrel.  Just a thought. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 10:37:11 AM »
I think you'll find factory Huntsman frames are marked "Huntsman", pic is Busta's Supersmoker .45.  ;)

Tim

Offline bluej

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »
Thanks for all the answers!

I will pull off the stock and call HR just to be sure what frame I have. My rifle is

blued with wood stock
says Huntsman on the receiver
was not sold as a combo
plastic sights
and yes the breech plug is 5/8

I purchased it new, so I know its configuration hasn't been tinkered with by a prior owner. [size=78%]I've seen the illustration of the butt stock end of the receiver so I know what to look for when I pull it off. [/size][size=78%]Will update here when I wrap up the detective work.[/size]

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »
Well, if you bought it as a Huntsman, it is a SB1 frame and cannot be fitted with center fire rifle barrels.

Quick,

I am pretty sure the SB2 Huntsman Combos had the ~HUNTSMAN~ on the frame as well.

I have also seen one odd ball Huntsman from 2002 that had the same type of color case hardening that the Buffalo Classics have. It was stamped ~HUNTSMAN~ on the frame, and was beautiful. I went back to that shop the next weekend to pick it up, but it was gone. I am sure it was a SB2 frame, but cannot be positive. I have never seen another like it, before or since.  :'(
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 12:03:17 PM »
Thanks Busta, H&R will fit 357mag and 44mag barrels to SB1 frames made 1987 and later, but as I stated before, their policy is they  won't fit any centerfire barrel to a Huntsman frame without a copy of the original 4473(pending changes to their policy).

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/support/accessoryprogram.asp