Author Topic: 17 Hornet?  (Read 1064 times)

Offline jrbb00

• Trade Count: (1)
17 Hornet?
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »
Is there going to be a handi rifle in the new 17 hornet.  I am a big fan of the 22 Hornet and am hoping that H&R will build it that way I can buy it.  I think it would be a wonderful crow and racoon caliber.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
Re: 17 Hornet?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 02:58:29 AM »
Is there going to be a handi rifle in the new 17 hornet.  I am a big fan of the 22 Hornet and am hoping that H&R will build it that way I can buy it.  I think it would be a wonderful crow and racoon caliber.

Apparently not. From what I read, Remington ( now the parent company ) says that they're not going to chamber H & R in .17 Hornet since they don't load the round. They have also discontinued the .22 Hornet. Best bet is going to be a re-chamber, using a .17 HMR doner barrel, and since you need to remove quite a bit of metal, the re-chamber is best done using a lathe. Here's the results of the search I did looking to awnser the same question.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search2
"skin that 'en out and I'll get ye nother"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:15:56 AM »
This topic and many like it have been discussed many times, H&R has no interest in any new chamberings at this time and for the forseeable future, in fact they've dropped many offerings in the last few years. :( Here's CWs thread on rechambering a 17hmr barrel, it must be fitted to an SB2 rifle frame, the search results link previous posted won't work, only direct links will work, you can use the advanced search to find those discussions tho, select just this forum from the list.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,252327.msg1099477000.html#msg1099477000

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,259629.msg1099536007.html#msg1099536007

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced;search=
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jrbb00

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I will look else were for the new hornet.  Now to go find good used SB2's sounds like they are going to cut back to the standard bread and butter calibers that Remington makes rounds for.

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
And they even load 22 Hornet ammo, so dropping it must have been a numbers thing - I'm right along with you on this one - I would love to have the 17 Hornet barrel for my Handi - but it looks like I'll be saving up for a CZ 527 instead.  I was hoping to be able to save a few hundred bucks by just buying a barrel.  I'm watching for a 17 HMR - I believe at least one other group member is in the process of having a 17 Hornet barrel made right now, so I'm anxious to see how it turns out. How many people on this list would actually buy a 17 Hornet barrel if it was available? Maybe we can get a count, just for fun, at least.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
Other chambering polls have been posted many times, one of the last was for a Remington round, the 17 Rem Fireball, so much for that and we had their ear at the time, never happened.  ::) You can post a poll using New Poll next to New Topic.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=161552.0

Offline dorothy daily

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »
no need for one,already have a 17 k hornet.

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »
Must not have been the right ear (no pun intended there) - Large companies can be really frustrating like that.  Some bean counter probably shot it down before it ever had a chance.  Just curious - does anyone know what kind of numbers an outfit like Talo has to order to get a special run of something?  I'm sure it is probably a fairly large number, but like I say, I'd just be curious to find out what that number is to know what it takes to get their attention.....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 04:29:54 PM »
Special orders require a minimum of 250 or 500 firearms depending on how common it is.

Tim