Author Topic: AK build opinion  (Read 591 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
AK build opinion
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:53:26 AM »
 I plan on turning my Draco ak pistol to a rifle, I don't want to go the SBR route to avoid paper work and I'm going with a pinned and welded barrel extension. (I know the laws on having to be 922R compliant) My question comes down to two barrel extensions I have been pondering but can't make a decision. The first one I have been loooking at is the 4" new style Krink or bulgarian brake http://www.cncwarrior.com/shop/23984-ext-length-24mm-4pc-brake/  It would give the gun a krink look. The other is a half comp/half flash suppressor (it kinda looks like the old long flash hiders that were welded onto the 11.5 barreled bushmaster ar's back in the day) http://www.cncwarrior.com/shop/25001-draco-russian-original/  Once I can get this decided and can go forward and get a ace folding trunion that fits a ar stock ( I already have the stock not the trunion)  Any thoughts on this  feel free to chime in.

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: AK build opinion
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »
Why ? what do you gain ? just asking .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »
The gain to put a stock on the gun without having to file form 1 legally.  To turn it into a carbine. Or are you asking the the gain of the muzzle divices other then lethening the barrel?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:18:41 AM »
so easy to build one these days just wondering. I looked at the extended flash sup. for AR's then looked at velosity loss and figured it better to go with a longer bbl. But they do look good .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »
Putting a shoulder stock on a handgun needs BATFE approval, I believe.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:17:56 AM »
Well I already have the draco. Some will say that just go buy another gun cause the cost is the same, as stated I already have the gun. The cost of SBR'ing it will be just shy of $400 due to stamp trust parts etc. I can get the more exspensive of the two extensions plus trunion for $170 or the lesser exspensive one for $110 plus trunion. I'm a machinist by trade and have a shop at my disposal so put it all together is no quarm. As far as the velocity loss the 7.62x39 is a much different animal then 223.  With your usual 125gr ammo I'm still getting 2200fps out of the draco according to my chrono.  The advantage is that I will have a brakes rifle the same length as a normal ak without a brake. That and it won't loook like every other ak on the wall out there, granted many have done this same thing but I have yet to see another one in person.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 06:21:48 AM »
Putting a shoulder stock on a handgun needs BATFE approval, I believe.
Correct if the barrel stays the same, if such barrel is permanently extended to over 16 inches then it is fully legal to add a stock and is now had to be 922r compliant (has to have american made parts put on it ie handguard , forstock etc.) Also it will be illeagal to turn such gun back to a pistol after converting it to a rifle.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:31:32 PM »
I ended up going with the Krinkov style brake, I'll post a pic as I go and when finished. The trunion I need is back ordered so that won't be coming in for another month or two.