Author Topic: The 'Typical' Hornet load  (Read 593 times)

Offline 1armoured

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
The 'Typical' Hornet load
« on: July 18, 2012, 08:29:17 PM »

The .22 Hornet in it's day was THE varmint cartridge.
With a 1:16 twist as norm, the 45gr projectiles were offered in both RN SP and HP in Factory loadings.
The first 22Hornet I saw was in the '50's, a very stubby 45gr softpoint,
being used in a Savage 24 .22Hornet over 20 gauge, I think.

Being used to the .22r/f, I was very impressed.

Before my latest Anschutz Hornet, my only Hornet of choice was the Savage Model 40. Very accurate for me,
and with it's 1:14 twist, handles the longer, heavier pills.
My favourite has been the Nosler 40gr Ballistic Tip, grouping down to less than .5MOA,
and the 50gr Hornady SPSX.

My latest acquisition, The Anschutz 1730, has a 1:15.7" twist, so in theory is more comfortable with a shorter lighter projectile,
although I shoot 40gr plastic tipped like BlitzKing and the Noslers well enough.

Looking through my stock of bullets, I decided to go back to the original 45gr loads, and test them out in the Anschutz.

Here they are;
Front, Left to right, Sako FMJ, Sierra RN SP, and Speer Spitzer, all in 45gr,

and at back, the ubiquitous 40gr Nosler BT's.

The FMJ COAL is 1.715" - I have crimped and uncrimped to test.
RN SP is 1.750" - has a light crimp.
Spitzer is 1.772"

They all fit and feed from the Anschutz magazine.
The Nosler BT's at 1.885 have to be single loaded.
SAAMI max COAL is 1.723
The Sierra RN SP isn't as stubby as I remember the original Hornet load I saw all those years ago,
as is the Spitzer, and both are loaded longer than SAAMI spec, which I imagine is based on the original short and stubby bullets available at that time, and maybe also magazine considerations.

They're all loaded up for a range test with 12grs Lil'Gun, and FC SP primers, so will just wait for the weather to improve, and we'll see how they go then.

-
cheers,
SS

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
Re: The 'Typical' Hornet load
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 02:28:07 AM »
1armoured,

Try out the hornady 35 grain vmax.  Those are awesome bullets for a little extra speed on varmints ;D   The noser 40 grain bt is a great bullet also.  I like the lighter pills for the hornet myself.

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »
The Hornady 45 gr. with 10.2 grains of Lil Gun works great for me.  It's on the low end for speed, but very accurate out of my CZ 527.

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 05:19:29 AM »
1armoured,

Try out the hornady 35 grain vmax.  Those are awesome bullets for a little extra speed on varmints ;D   The noser 40 grain bt is a great bullet also.  I like the lighter pills for the hornet myself.

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer

I've had mixed results with the 35gr V-Max, but I'll give it another go,
although the idea here was to shoot the original 45gr loads, and see how they go against my favorite 40gr ballistic tip load.
Just also waiting on some 40gr BlitzKing, which are flat base, as against the Noslers boat tail, and will test these as well.
Flat base are purported to be better over the shorter distances than boat tails.
I've had good results with the BlitzKings, as I have shot them in my .222 as well.

Loaded the few 35gr V-Max that I have left into RP cases over 13grs Lil'Gun, and the FC SP primers, and crimped half of them.
COAL is 1.765" and just fit the magazine with not a lot to spare.

Incidentally, my other loads are in RWS cases which have less capacity, hence my max loads of 12grs Lil'Gun.

cheers,
SS