Author Topic: 1" Napoleon style cannon  (Read 1076 times)

Offline de_lok

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
1" Napoleon style cannon
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:54:38 AM »

Napoleon Field Gun, 12" wheels, Bbl is 15 1/2 in length, bore is 1.035",  2 1/2 " dia at breech, 2 .125" muzzle.  Carriage is kiln dried red oak.  Got it from Cannon Mania.  It is strongly recommended that it shoot only salutes as it's felt the carriage will not take the recoil of  service

(I couldn't reply to the above post so I copie/paste to this one, Double D posted it with other cannons)
These cannons were made to meet the spec's of Cannon-Mania as a signal cannon only. The metal on most of them were 12L14 (a few of the first ones were 1018) and they do not meet the "1/3" rule/guideline. Notice how much forward the vent is. This was so a Dixie brass lock could be used, and the reason I designed my own locks so the bore and vent were in a more normal position. The carriage itself is strong enough for live fire but the wheels may not be. Had the bore been smaller, .750 to .812 It would be fine for live fire. This model was the "base" or entry level cannon. I liked making them with much greater detail but had to simplify these to stay in a price point. Hope this was helpful to any one who owns one. ;)
de_lok

Offline Onit12345

Re: 1" Napoleon style cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »
Does cannon-mania have a web site?

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
Almost bought one  used and as stated  the barrel didnt meet 1/3 rule  as i want all mine to be able to live fire I passed on it but  was a nice little signal canon

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:35:09 AM »
Does cannon-mania have a web site?
No, he is retired and no longer on the internet.....................The cannon pictured above was purchased several years ago as they were available 98 thru 07........................

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:07:59 AM »
Almost bought one  used and as stated  the barrel didnt meet 1/3 rule  as i want all mine to be able to live fire I passed on it but  was a nice little signal canon

I could have made them with a powder chamber ( 3/4" x 1.5") but again I was making them to his spec. I had originally wanted to bore them .750 but 1.00 inch makes a lot more noise!  ;D As signal cannons he was selling them faster than I could make them! I want to be able to make and sell them again, I had to stop due to health issues, and sold all my machinery.  If it does work out to again do this the detail will be better, especially the wheels, more furniture, etc........... I have spoke with the ole Grey Beard about my intentions and plan to be a paying sponsor at the point I have products to sell. :)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 05:05:57 AM »
I wish you smooth sailing with your plan, de_lok.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 05:19:41 AM »
Do a search of  Cannon-Mania on the board before you get to far into your discussion on them.  The have a long history of not filling ordesr and not refunding money.  They have a big record with the Connecticut and Georgia State Attorney General's consumer fraud division's. The defrauded a number of people here on this board and we were only able get some of there money back.

Googling them will also bring up even more complaints about them

They are still around and working out of Georgia. 

If after you do your research you still do business with them, you are on your own. You have been warned.

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 06:30:05 AM »
Do a search of  Cannon-Mania on the board before you get to far into your discussion on them.  The have a long history of not filling ordesr and not refunding money.  They have a big record with the Connecticut and Georgia State Attorney General's consumer fraud division's. The defrauded a number of people here on this board and we were only able get some of there money back.

Googling them will also bring up even more complaints about them

They are still around and working out of Georgia. 

If after you do your research you still do business with them, you are on your own. You have been warned.

Just so we are clear on one point, I was a vendor for the afore mentioned company. I sold my products under the ICW Modeling logo. I am in no way endorsing this company, just making comments on products I made that were sold thru this company.