Author Topic: Before there were tumblers...  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Forestgnome

• Trade Count: (0)
Before there were tumblers...
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:10:35 AM »
This question regards the history of reloading. Does anyone know how reloaders cleaned brass before there were tumblers? Did they just polish by hand one-by-one?

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Before there were tumblers...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »
I reloaded a bunch of years before I got a tumbler. I inspected each case before I did anything an just wiped it with a rag lightly soaked in mineral spirits to remove any oil, dirt or grit. If I wanted BBQ brass, I slipped the case on a hardwood mandrel chucked in a drill and spun it against fine steel wool or brass polish, or I used nickel plated brass. I don't remember many reloaders with "cosmetically shiny" brass, and nobody wanted their brass "pretty". I had no die problems, no feeding problems. Way back when, you could tell who was a reloader at the range by the dull (but not dirty) ammo he was shooting; no "virgin, ultra shiny" cases. Dull was OK and shiny brass not considered "necessary" like today...

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »
Before tumblers, I'd wash my brass in hot soapy water and dry in the oven or sun. Like Mdi, I have chucked up cases and polished with steel wool to pretty them up a bit. Worked fine, but wouldn't want to be without my tumblers these days.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »
Before tumblers everyone I knew used carbon tetrachloride.  It cleaned faster and better than a tumbler and was dirt cheap at any auto parts or hardware store of the day.  Gee thanks EPA.

Offline freekforge

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »
i dont have a tumbler i use vinegar salt soap and water

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
case  spinners 

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 02:22:15 AM »
This is from an old Ideal Handbook, No. 30 (1931), pg. 9.  I tried my best to enter the text exactly as originally printed.  I added the bolding on the parts I found to be most unbelievable, and funny.

"To clean cases which ave been fired with smokeless powder, first wash them in soapy water and rinse in clear water.  Then immerse them for not more than three to five minutes in a solution of one per cent. sulfuric acid and water, which must be contained in a wooden tub, glass bowl or an earthenware vessel.  Do not let them remain long in this, but remove and at once wash in several changes of clear water.  This leaves the cases clean, but they will probably be black which does no harm.

The best way, however, to clean fired cases so they will be as bright an clean as when new, and with the least labor, is as follows:  Procure two quart preserve jars or other large glass vessels.  Fill No. 1 jar with 1 quart of water, 2 ounces of sulfuric acid, and 2 ounces of potassium bichromate.  Fill No. 2 jar with 1 quart water and one-fourth pound of sodium cyanide.  Both these solutions are deadly poison, and if mixed will give off poisonous gasses.  Arrange these these in the following order from left to right.  No. 1 Jar - a kettle of clear water; No. 2 jar - another kettle of clear hot water.  Take a piece of wire and bend in the form of a double hook with long handle in the middle.  Hang two cases on the hooks, mouth down, and dip them first in No. 1 jar..."

Well I'm tired of typing but you get the idea, just go on down the line.  Whew, we've certainly come a  long way since then.  I imagine if you even tried to by the chemicals it wouldn't be long before homeland security would be knocking on your door ;D 

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 07:59:48 AM »
Incredible !

Didn't they have Coca Cola for reloaders back then ?

or even the lemon juice/citric acid  or pickle jar !

chees,
SS

Offline Barstooler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »
OOOO steal wool -- one by one. :P
I never worried about the inside of the case, but cleaned/scraped out the primer pocket about every fifth firing with pointed end of a metal finger nail file that I had modified to narrow/sharpened point.
Cleaned brass that way from the 1960s until I finally bought a tumbler in 2006.
Tedious?  Yes, but it worked for me.
Barstooler
Beverage of Choice -  Jeremiah Weed
Weapon of Choice  -  30 Mike Mike Gatlin Gun

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »
I have an old friend that is a fence rider on one of the largest ranches in Texas. His dad and his grand dad rode for the same brand. I finally got a hold of him this evening as I wondered the same thing about cleaning brass. The old man still rides and still carrys a Winchester 50-110 Express in an original Winchester Model 1886 in his saddle scabbard. According to him, his dad and grand dad both cleaned their brass by boiling it with a sliver of home made Lye soap. Said it came out nice and clean. Don't know that I would want to try that with a cartridge of high pressure but it apparently works for black powder loads.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 12:42:30 AM »
I started out using a Lee holder and spinning the cases with steel wool. I only did this for the real dirty cases, if they were not that bad, they did not get cleaned, only washed, hand scrubbed one at a time. I cleaned the primer pockets with a hand held RCBS primer pocket cleaner, which was a bundle of wires held tightly together at the end of a shaft with a screw driver handle. It was not too long before I bought a tumbler - a real tumbler, long before there were vibratory cleaners. I still have it, it cost a lot then and they cost a lot now. I get a kick out of people calling vibrating cleaners, tumblers. It all goes back to the fact that the first "machine cleaners" were tumblers. They were adopted from rock polishers for semiprecious stones. About 5 years ago, I got my first vibratory cleaner and now use both the very old Tumbler's Tumbler Model B and the Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum.

Good Luck And Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 12:49:50 AM »
Before tumblers there were rock polishers, corn cob grit and brasso.

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 02:41:22 AM »
Barstooler and I must have went to the same school.......as he said " 0000 steelwool , one by one ".  One thing , in those days I was mostly loading for my .357  handgun  , I was getting a lot of cracked cases (neck area)....they were easily found with the twisting motion and steelwool....just got my tumbler 3-4 years ago....wow.

regards , irold

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 03:44:34 AM »
Pioneers would fasten a coffee can full of brass and sand to the wheel of a Conestoga wagon. By the time they got to Californy, (  provided they weren't scalped by injuns, starved, frozen, died of heat stroke or thirst)their brass was shiny as a new penny.

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 06:48:12 AM »
I used to put a wire brush that was worn out and the same caliber as the cartridge. Wrap 0000 settl wool around it and chuck it in a drill. Take another bit of oooo and hold it in my hand. Push the wire brush into the case neck with the drill running and hold it a sec then lighten up the hold with the other hand and let the case spin in the oooo in the hand. Exrteamly clean cases and the inside of the neck looks new. Pretty fast method.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 06:49:43 AM »
I started loading R&P 1962 did the steel wool for a very short time, made my own tumbler out of a 2 gal plastic pickle jar used wood fins inside a motor with a pulley and a fan belt hooked to a larger pulley screwed to the lid of the jar only had red stuff that they used to polish rocks 6-8 hrs later cleaned cases.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline wmdron

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »
Unless I am reloading a large quantity I still like to clean and polish my cases one by one by hand. Handling my cases numerous times gives me a chance to really look them over.  I use either Flitz metal polish or Ballistol on the outside and a nylon case brush for inside the necks and then a wipe with an alcohol soaked Q tip. I clean the primer pockets with a uniformer and a primer pocket cleaner tool. I own a tumbler but I really don't use it that much.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 03:57:14 AM »
We have a lot of Amish around me, so with the cost of electricity for my AC lately I think I will try tobsters wagon wheel method ;D  It seems I pretty much use LaOtto's method.
The real dirty cases go in the liquid solution and RCBS Sidewinder, are dried and vibrated with Flitz or other media solution.
Mostly only vibrate unless I come across dirty range pickup ;)

Offline Forestgnome

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 02:10:44 AM »
Wow! I didn'yt expect such a thorough coverage of the subject. This is really great, cowboy stories and all!

Offline Forestgnome

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 02:12:22 AM »
Pioneers would fasten a coffee can full of brass and sand to the wheel of a Conestoga wagon. By the time they got to Californy, (  provided they weren't scalped by injuns, starved, frozen, died of heat stroke or thirst)their brass was shiny as a new penny.
Funny, when I wrote the question I had a vision of a sack full of brass and sand being drug behind a horse.

Offline EMC45

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 04:47:58 AM »
I have a tumbler. Have had one the entire time I have reloaded. I will clean cases with liquid though. I like Dawn with lemon juice from the bottle (think sweet tea) and hot as you get from the tap water. Pour all into a Folger's plastic coffee can and shake til your arms ache. I then rinse thoroughly with cold water and put outside on the hood of my truck and let the sun dry them. Works great! I have used vinegar with this method as well- Dawn, vinegar and lemon juice. They both work very well and clean the brass nicely.

Offline Forsberg

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »
Shirt pockets and a washing machine. Worked way back when and not bad today.  Needs good shirts and flap pockets. Ok, lazy, I know!! What can I say!?!?

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
Iosso case cleaning kit.
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"