Author Topic: Savage Stevens 200 223  (Read 876 times)

Offline TRguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Savage Stevens 200 223
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:08:11 AM »
Stevens 200 in 223

I bought a Stevens 200 in 223 back in February. Started out like this
Started to work on stiffening the barrel channel and filling some surface areas, spraying with primer and ultimately painting the stock....
Since then I did some trigger work took the action and barrel to him, he cut the barrel and re-crowned, mounted the scope mount and scope, bore sighted....Now we get to take it to the range today and see how she shoots....Worst day of shooting beats the best day at work.Well here are some from the cell phone, sorry for the poor quality of pics.

Its about 1/4 from the recoil lug. But the u channel allows for stiffening both on the horizontal and vertical axis. If you try it you will be amazed at the amount of stability you will get out of your stock
I used this to cut the channels for the u-channelhttp://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=Multi-Max+MM40Pics of the u channel in the stockAdded a large oversized bolt handle and a Timney Trigger.

Offline D Fischer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Savage Stevens 200 223
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
Very nice looking rifle. I don't usually like plastic stocks and that one is nice. I think it's factory with a paint job? That metal bar in the barrel channel, not factory is it?

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Savage Stevens 200 223
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:24:57 AM »

I'm sorry but I just don't understand what you did in regard to the U channel.  In the picture, I see what appears to be a long piece of aluminum laying in the forestock.  Is this the U channel?  Did you make it yourself?   What's it made of?  How did you make it? How did you epoxy it?

Or, is that aluminum already in the stock, and you just used your tool to cut out slots around it and underneath it to install epoxy or JB weld?

Thanks, Mannyrock