Author Topic: South Carolina Civil War Museum  (Read 847 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
South Carolina Civil War Museum
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
I came aross this small privately owned museum yesterday, and I'm not sure if the second photo is showing the purported "carriage" of one of the CSA "Four Apostles", but I suppose it is; although all I can see is two wheels with an iron axle laying in front of them.
I was also wondering if the odd naval/garrison carriage supporting what appears to be a 3-inch ordnance rifle, was meant to represent the 12-pounder Blakey that was fired on Ft. Sumter at the beginning of the CW.

http://www.mbisr.com/sccivilwarmuseum.html

http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/cadet-6-pdrs/

http://www.galenahistorymuseum.org/blakely.html

The Four Apostles in front of Stonewall Jackson's statue at V.M.I.

Blakely at Grant Park, Galena, IL  Photo: W.J. Manon
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: South Carolina Civil War Museum
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »
Interesting.  It looks like they've picked up a lot of stuff over the years, some of which may have some military connection but most, especially in the last image of the museum, is just antique civilian "stuff."

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:52:33 AM »
I wonder if small, poorly funded (perhaps amateurish would be an apt description) museums of this kind should be regarded as harmless entertainment, or because of the misinformation and unrealistic displays that they sometimes furnish to the public, would it be more fitting to consider them detrimental to fostering serious interest in the subjects that they claim to represent accurately?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »
I wonder if small, poorly funded (perhaps amateurish would be an apt description) museums of this kind should be regarded as harmless entertainment, or because of the misinformation and unrealistic displays that they sometimes furnish to the public, would it be more fitting to consider them detrimental to fostering serious interest in the subjects that they claim to represent accurately?

Perhaps they are getting their information from the "Civil War GURU"..... Sometimes museums try to encompass too much and do not have the knowledge base to support such an undertaking..... there was a nice little museum, a stone building in Cimarron New Mexico... who's original function escapes me after 30 odd years but among the displays was a 3 band percussion rifle the only mark on it was the date 1851 and they had it identified as a Model 1851 Springfield.... It was in fact a Austrian rifle imported during the war of aggression.... the museum was very good about day to day house hold stuff of the period.... they just didn't have the knowledge base when it came to guns..... I gave them the correct info but I doubt anything was ever changed.....

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium