Author Topic: Rimmed versus rimless ???again???  (Read 936 times)

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
Rimmed versus rimless ???again???
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »

Since twoshooter was getting testy about his thread being hijacked,
I thought we could bring this over here.
Gendoc,
 OMG.. (Insert sarcasm) Is this a suggestion that a RIMMED case might be better used in a single shot rifle???  PERISH the thought...  ::) ::) ::)  Where do people get these ideas?? (Remove sarcasm)

CW
I first learned a preference for rimmed cartridges in a T/C 30 years ago, (but not in XP's, obviously).

....so I would submit that rimmed cases are better in break open actions.

...respectfully.  [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] (That means none intended!)

I agree with you my friend!

John on the other hand has another opinion on the matter... Comeon back later. He will have a retort I am certain. ;) 

CW
so tha blackout will handle a heavier bullet thana "39" ??  so what !! whats 20gr when you can
do anythin with tha 7.62x39, much less anathang close in comparison !!.
  if you know what yur doin... i know i do.
far asa rim goes......... ::)    i cud care less what yalls favorite assumptions and opinions are.
there are too many handi folks that are happy with there rimless, and prolly there are more folks happy with there rims.

its justa majority thin........ no real evidence.... no real justice.
rim or shoulder  and even both !!
headspace isa headspace no matter what you make of it, or shud i say.... what you can do about it ;) ;)  !!

don't say you ain't never heard or hada prollum with yur rims.....  its there, but no one will admit it.

i have seen it, had it, experianced it.  but you know, i've overcame it.  same as with rimless.

only thang required isa little more time work'n with your problem chamberins.
and if it can't be taught to respond to yur like'n...... throw ita way !!!

if you think you gotha perfect rifle ............then the next person will condem it as junk !!

it is written....for every negative there isa positive.  and in this case, vise-versa.

i for one don't need no-one to put words in my mouth based on assumptions.
cause i'll speak my mind with tha best of'um................................................................................... 8)
I'm going to use a picture.

These four were sitting on my bench and I took the picture.
Three of these are for AR's, and one is for a Handi.
Anybody want to guess which one is for a Handi?

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Rimmed versus rimless ???again???
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »
ibgp3,

I can't make an inflammatory statement right now, I just had a snickers bar. ::)  Also, I am confused!?!?  I thought the purpose of starting a new thread was so others could hijack it. :o ;D

BTW, I really like that rimmed AR cartridge. ;)

BB

RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline ibgp3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:58:11 AM »

at least some of us can have fun!!!

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:15:42 AM »
Looked good to me too! I am not testy, I just cant have any Snickers bars, my doctor says no nuts! I have heard that rimless cartridges are possibly just immature and will grow rims when they get old........... ::) :P
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline ibgp3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:22:04 AM »
I have heard that rimless cartridges are possibly just immature and will grow rims when they get old........... ::) :P

....but the velvet that is left behind tends to gum up my action!!

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 02:47:26 AM »
throw tha plastic away
and get you a real gun
:-)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 04:06:07 AM »
Ill throw my hat in again.  :o

It's fun to throw comments back and forth and get te banter flowing. This depate will live on for ever I believe.

Again, my take is this. The very first cartridages had rims. Rims serve a valuable purpose and are easier to make work in single shot firearms. This is not opinion it is fact. Later when repeating arms came along they still had rims. When semi auto hand guns came to be it was discovered rimless offered many distinct advantages. When semi and full auto rifles came to be the ONLY way to go was rimless! So rimless was found to also improve function of bolt guns as well as pump action rifles. Rimmed rounds simple do not work well in semi auto handguns. This to is simple fact. Levers work well with a rim but with out much work can also use rimless with success.

Both are great in there respective fields. Yes both can be made to do either. Buy no need threw all the years, we all know what's best where.

Our Handis can be made to work with both. But as we know, in Handis, rimless cartridges have had more problems than rimmed.

Personally, I have both in Handis. One of my most accurate Handis is a rimless .223, but my most accurate 17 M2 is rimmed. I simply prefer rimmed, in a Handi.

A few here will crow about rim less is best. If they prefer them more power to them. BUT please take a moment to see there hiprocracy.... The calibers they have listed in there sit lines where you will find rims out number rimless more than 2:1. ;)  So they say rimless rimless rimless, but look in there safe and of all the Handis, you will see rimmed Handis rule the roost. ::)

You know I love you guys ;) ,

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »
again, as i said before....
opinion's and speculations = assumptions ::)

all of mine perform very well.  my less does best for ($),
my rims are for all tha rest i have to shoot (meat)

and you ain't gotta clue bout whats in my vaults ;D

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »
My favorite Handi CF rifles are all rimmed.  They are not my favorites because of the rim but because of the bore size.  My favorites Handis all have bores of .4295" and larger and I would have just as much fun with them if they where rimless. 

Headspace is headspace,  it is either right or it ain't.  Most Handis have to be loaded to adjust for deep chambers and rim cuts.  For me it is much easier to set the shoulder of a piece of rimless brass to give correct headspace than it is to fix a deep rim cut problem.

As much as I enjoy my rimmed Handis, my two most accurate Handis are both rimless, 35 Rem (loaded to 35 super levels) and my 30-06 shorty.

BB

RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
That is mostly true of mine also. I love them because they are all well suited to cast bullet loads. Why would I buy a rimless in a handi ? I have high pressure cartridges in bolt guns, they are very accurate and efficient, they are in the 3000  to 3600 fps range. I rarely use them, most applications I use my guns for , if I used the bolts it would be like driving a Ferrari to the mail box. They are long range varmint / target guns. You probably never heard me mention my semi-autos either, because there aren't any ( except 22 handguns) I use  bullets in ascending weights and diameters for different applications, but most are all in the 1200 to 1600 fps range, the cost is minimal,so is the noise, the recoil, and cases last virtually forever. I do own a couple of rimless handi's but there was no reasonable substitute and it was a good deal. I have a 243 which I load with 80 gr PSP's at about 2850 fps, 250 savage territory. I would have rather had a 25/35. I also have a 280 which I believe I bought from someone in the discussion here ::) and would swap it for a 7 X30 Waters in a heartbeat. They are not available. The two gaps I see would be filled by a 375 or 405 Win on the top, and by a 25/20- 32/20 range cartridge on the bottom. I have no beef with anyone who wants a 22/250 handi, but it does not relate to anything I would use, and if I wanted a 22/250, I would be looking for a Model 12 Savage.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 05:55:49 AM »
I got to go on the side of either one here.  I have both types, the most accurate Handi I own is a 7.62X39.  The commie whisper is wonderful with cast or jacketed, it shoots better than I do.  My second most accurate is the 30-30, followed closely by the 45-70 and 444.  The max ain't too shabby either.  My feeling is if it works, it works.  If it doesn't, it's a PITA, rimmed or not.  This opinion and $4 will buy a latte at starbucks, plus tax.