Author Topic: .223 vertical stringing solved  (Read 1063 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
.223 vertical stringing solved
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:58:28 AM »
I have a very nice .223 standard that I upgraded with laminated stocks and she wears a 6-24 scope.  It has been frustrating since day one with vertical stringing.  I had thought a lot of it was the hard 8x8 that I was shooting over in the past and I'm sure some of it was.  But today I was able to shoot it for the first time over a nice, stable rest.  I was Sooooooo disappointed when it continued to string again today!  I had a nice group about 1/2" wide by 2 1/2" tall.  So I was checking all the obvious, scope mounts, scope, stock thru bolt, all good.  The I decided to try something different with the forend.  I have used the 'O' ring trick from day one on this gun.  So I thought, what the heck, let's take it out.  The next five shots went into a nice round group just a little over 1/2".  I'm so happy!  I now know not to just 'do' what the suggestions might be but to check it out on my gun first.  My 30-30 shoots better with the 'O' ring in.  It just goes to show you that each gun is an individual with it's own preferences and you have to find out what it likes.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .223 vertical stringing solved
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:43:30 AM »
Just goes ta show ya, always shoot first, then make changes, glad ya got that one workin good for ya.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
You should be happy and I am happy for you. Feels good when it all comes together, does it not? A 9/16" group at 100 yards is nothing to sneeze at.

Good Shooting and Good Luck
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline LaDano

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »
What's the o ring trick? Between the the fire stick and barrel? Sorry I know it's a newbie Q, but I'm still learning.

Thanx
Sporter 7X57 Mauser
Sporter 30-06 Mauser
Original M38 6.5X55 Swede
Marlin 30-30
AR-15 .223
AR-15 300aac
Ruger 44 carbine

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »

LaDano, you need to study the FAQ's and the Handi basics over and over to help shorten your learning curve.

They are talking about an O ring under the forearm.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline j4l

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »
No offense, but could it have just been "in your head"?
I cant get my head around the concept of "vertical stringing" from a single-shot, since each round fired is individually aimed and placed.
With a semi-auto, mag-fed rifle, maybe (AR, etc.) or even  a mag-fed Bolt-action, perhaps, but with a single shot?
Not sure how that can even happen beyond anticipating such a string ahead of pulling the trigger..

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »
It's a terminology gap. This kind of vertical stringing is the term for a gun and load that disperses the shots in a vertical line much more than it does horizontally. Maybe you're thinking of muzzle climb, wouldn't happen with a single shot. Nice round groups are what we want to see.

Offline LaDano

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 07:44:55 PM »

LaDano, you need to study the FAQ's and the Handi basics over and over to help shorten your learning curve.

They are talking about an O ring under the forearm.

I found it, Thanx. I just spent the last 4 hours reading up on several questions I had. 
Sporter 7X57 Mauser
Sporter 30-06 Mauser
Original M38 6.5X55 Swede
Marlin 30-30
AR-15 .223
AR-15 300aac
Ruger 44 carbine

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »
I have always been a little skeptical about the O ring idea. I found a rigid nylon spacer that has a 3/8 hole to fit the forend bolt lug, and is maybe 3/16 thick. It keeps the barrels reliably free floated, and makes repeatable screw tightening easier.
Glad you got your stringing fixed !

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »
44 i bought two 223's used the o ring on both never shot them with out them .interesting i will see how they shoot with them off. ;)

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 02:35:07 AM »
I like to make the fore end one with the barrel. I like to pillar bed the fore end and then full length bed the fore end to the barrel with the fore end NOT pushing on the frame - so the fore end is tight to the barrel, but with a small gap to the frame. This will result in a barrel that is a little "sloppy" feeling when open, but it still locks up tight when closed. This way I can shoot with the fore end rested in my hand, use a Bi-Pod or off of bags and still shoot tight groups. If you need to "float" the barrel with an O-ring, then you will probably have to shoot off of the frame, other wise you defeat the use of the O-ring. Of course every gun IS different and you really need to find what works best with it. I think you should always start with the way the guns comes to you. If it shoots to your expectations, then you are home free. If not, then there are several different things to try, including the O-ring. The O-ring is simple, cheap and reversable, but if it does not preform to your expectations, then you need to try other things.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 06:25:57 AM »
+1 that, well said!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974