Author Topic: I would like to introduce you to Abigail  (Read 1645 times)

Offline GUNNUT in Iowa

• Trade Count: (0)
I would like to introduce you to Abigail
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »
Sometime ago, I asked about names for your cannons. 

The thread is here - http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,252330.msg1099477525.html#msg1099477525

I would like to introduce you to Abigail, a one-half scale 1840 Six Pounder.  Weight is 300 pounds.  Constructed of 405 individual parts with 86 of them wood (Red Oak and Cherry).

More photos here - http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz215/6270_Productions/Abigail/

Questions / Comments?

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: I would like to introduce you to Abigail
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »
Very nice!  ;D  That photo is a good canidate for next years calander.....
So have you had any smoke and fire yet?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »

The thread is here - http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,252330.msg1099477525.html#msg1099477525

I would like to introduce you to Abigail, a one-half scale 1840 Six Pounder.  Weight is 300 pounds.  Constructed of 405 individual parts with 86 of them wood (Red Oak and Cherry).

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz215/6270_Productions/Abigail/DSCN0431.jpg

More photos here - http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz215/6270_Productions/Abigail/

Questions / Comments?

I don't know how to break this to you, but I believe that Abigail is trying to seduce me!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GUNNUT in Iowa

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:55 AM »
Very nice!  ;D  That photo is a good canidate for next years calander.....
So have you had any smoke and fire yet?

I have some video of "smoke and fire", but no still shots.  I will have to work on that.

So far I have "launched" 10 golf balls - and not found any of them - as a shooter, this concerns me.  I think I need a larger impact area, at least something larger than an 80 acre hay field.

Mostly, I shoot blanks - perhaps 30 to date.  I have used it to start golf tournaments, Memorial Day, presentations at the local retirement home (They really got a kick out of it!), Fourth of July, and a flag dedication ceremony for the American Legion.

I will work on the "smoke and fire" photos.  That photo was in the local city park.  I don't have any decent background in my yard.  I have to go a ways to shoot it.

Offline GUNNUT in Iowa

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz215/6270_Productions/Abigail/DSCN0431.jpg

Questions / Comments?

I don't know how to break this to you, but I believe that Abigail is trying to seduce me!

She has that effect on some folks.  I keep her locked up so she doesn't get in trouble, when I can't keep my eye on her.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 10:54:11 AM »
GUNNUT,
Your Photobucket documentary is very nice.  Is that you making the gun?  Is that your shop?
A #1 carriage is hard!  I applaud you.
I really like the way the cheeks were done.  I'm curious though.  Why that way instead of drilling the vertical holes?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GUNNUT in Iowa

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
GUNNUT,
Your Photobucket documentary is very nice.  Is that you making the gun?  Is that your shop?
A #1 carriage is hard!  I applaud you.
I really like the way the cheeks were done.  I'm curious though.  Why that way instead of drilling the vertical holes?
Zulu

The woodworking shop is mine.  The machine shop is not.

I suppose a naval gun would have been easier, but I am a woodworker and I wanted the challenge of the #1 carriage.  I have seen your woodworking site and I know you understand the craft.  Yes, "hard" is an accurate description.

The cheeks needed to be laminated in order to get the desired thickness (with the material I had on hand) and the Chin Bolts needed to be at that angle.  I used a template for the angles and a router to create the "holes".  The "holes" are 3/4" and approximately 8" deep, which is a pretty good operation with a drill press.  I took the easy way.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »
When I drill deep vertical holes in side cheeks, I drill them from both directions.  I pencil in a line on the outside, line up the bit with the line, drill as deep as a spade bit will get me , then flip my piece, match the bit to the penciled line and go as deep as the bit will get me.  If they meet in the middle, good.  If they don't meet, I have to go in with a 12" spade bit in a power drill and extend the hole till they do meet.  It actually works pretty well.
Really, really nice job on your project!!!!
Jealous Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 11:26:12 AM »
Wow!!  That's a lathe!!! :o :o :o
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GUNNUT in Iowa

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »
Wow!!  That's a lathe!!! :o :o :o
Zulu

My machinist has been waiting for me to start this thread.  I expect he may reply to any comments concerning his machine shop, but just in case he shows up late, I will respond to this comment.

Yes, that puppy is his "large" lathe.  I don't know the actual specs on it, but it is approximately bigger than my van!  The lathe being used to profile the outside of the tube is his "medium" lathe and I think it is a monster.  The "small" lathe is shown turning the trunnions.  It won't fit in my garage.

He has a very nice and well equipped shop.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
Abigail is beautiful and very detailed.  Could you tell me about the paint job? I love the color and im working on a small 1841. I have the wheels ready and the barrel and hopefully will find the time to finish it soon. I never liked the idea of painting a carriage but after seeing this im a believer. Is that the color that was on the original?

Offline GUNNUT in Iowa

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 12:37:33 AM »
This is my first cannon.  My research tells me that it is best not to get into detailed discussion about the "original" colors of the pieces.   ;D

I did find some information in Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War by James C. Hazlett, which said the carriages were "OD green" and the metal was black.  Somewhere, I even found the formula for the green color, but that sparked concern that the ingrediants used today are different colors than the ingrediants they used "back then".  I found photos of some pieces at the Virginia Military Academy (I think that is where they were.) that showed red carriages.  That was NOT going to happen!

My carriage is constructed of red oak.  The axel is cherry.  Cherry was the only species I had laying around the shop that was big enough without glueing one up.  Due to the strength requirement, I did not want to do that.  I am a woodworker.  It was tough to paint, but it had to be done.  It is a field piece not a decoration.

I also collect U.S. Military weapons and equipment.  During my "travels in these circles", I found a paint formula for a "perfect match for a WW II foot locker".  It was from Lowes and used an Olympic brand base.  I don't know what it looks like, but have that formula, if it will be easier for you to get.  Unfortunately, the formula did not match what my local True Value hardware store was able to do.  However, he was able to call the home office and get a matching formula for their brand of paint.  I was building some cabinets for my collection and purchased a gallon of paint.  I had some left over.   ;D   This is a "brush paint".

The formula for True Value brand paint is:
          Interior Semi-gloss
          EZS-N Neutral Base
          B-4y42
          C-10y39
          F-1
          KX-13

That may not mean much to you, but it will to the paint store.

The black is just an aerosol paint (rattle can) from True Value.  It is X-O Rust Professional spray enamel "Paint & Primer in One" - XOP18 - Satin Black - #125737.

All parts on the piece are either of these two colors.  No primer - just paint.  It has - maybe - three coats of the green at various times during the build.  There is a brushable version of the black paint.  I expect I have repainted the steel tires at least five times.  They get messed up, when it gets moved across the gravel and I have to make it look pretty, again.  Very simple process; block up that side of the piece, dip the brush in the paint, hold it against the tire, and spin the wheel.  It takes about 60 seconds per wheel.

"Original color" - no, probably not, but it works for me - and I think it looks good.

Thanks for your comments!

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 03:52:12 AM »
Very, Very well done GUNNUT. Lots of thought, planning, and labor went into that build. The pictures are great. I'm always interested in seeing how others do things. Good to see another field gun built.
Max

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Thanks for the info on the paint. It may not be the original color but It works perfect and I couldn't imagine Aby would look better in any other color.

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »
Wow it looks great! Something to be proud of!

And thanks for all the pictures, I love build threads.

Offline robbob

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »
Very nice....incredible work actually!

My field carriage project stalled last year and I haven't been around here very much since then.  Life just got in the way. Been lurking around again last week or so, hope to get back at building soon.

Rob

Offline GUNNUT in Iowa

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »
Very nice....incredible work actually!

My field carriage project stalled last year and I haven't been around here very much since then.  Life just got in the way. Been lurking around again last week or so, hope to get back at building soon.

Rob

Yes, I know how that works.  I have been 10 years so far on the addition to my house - four stories with a "witch's hat roof", curved walls, stained glass windows, and a three story spiral staircase.  I like challenges.  All I have left to do is remove the "working" stair case and duplicate it in oak.  The treads have been done for about three months now.  There always seems to be something else to do.

To all that have responded to this thread, thank you ever so much for your comments.  I appreciate them.

Still working of those "smoke and fire" photos.  I will post them, when I get them - kind of hard to do them in my back yard.  I am 1 1/2 blocks from City Hall and 2 blocks from downtown.