Author Topic: Couple of "Li'l Guys"  (Read 810 times)

Offline MikeS0000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Our Little Lurcher
Couple of "Li'l Guys"
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:33:08 AM »
The British Blomefield is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Still looking for the logistics of moving it up the hill we live on. The 18 wheeler will never make it. In the meantime however, here a couple of little ones. To the left is a .50 Cal. Signal(?) cannon and to the right is a .22 WW1 Breech Loader Deck Gun. No idea on the date of the .50,  but the Deck Gun is marked on the base with maker initials and 1919 date.

Thanks for looking, any ideas on the .50 (and how to fire it - as I have not) appreciated!

- MikeS

PS - Just an fyi, Trench Art Shells behind are German 77mm's. and the bronze is the French Cockrel crushing the Prussian Eagle.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Couple of "Li'l Guys"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 07:16:08 AM »
Nice display; does the pedestal mount gun fire a blank?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline MikeS0000

• Our Little Lurcher
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »
Hi Canoneer -

Well, causes some controversy, but it will actually fire a live shell. The barrel is rifled and the breech has a triple threaded locking mechanism. Doesn't show well, but it also has recoil springs built into it.

Here is a period photo that is pretty close to what it appears to be.

Best regards!
- Mike

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:01:41 PM »
Nice little cannon's The deck gun is an interesting piece, would you mind taking a close up of the breech mecinism open and closed? Who ever built it put a lot into it in including what appears to have been nickle plating it.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline MikeS0000

• Our Little Lurcher
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »
Here you go... Kabar

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 02:15:42 PM »
Nice looking trench art, too!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 07:33:40 PM »
Mike,
Interesting model, interupted thread and all; have you fired it?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »
 I've seen that deck gun - or one near exactly like it - somewhere before. Wonder if it was based on some Popular Mechanics project or some such.  ???

Here's an interesting variant; also in .22 lr...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »
I've also seen more than a few similar versions of these deck guns. This one was made by the late Australian member "freddo."