Author Topic: Balls  (Read 730 times)

Offline robbob

• Trade Count: (0)
Balls
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »
Well, it looks like I may get my half scale build back on track.  I was considering getting a few balls from Fox or one of the other suppliers.  My barrel is 1 5/8" bore, proper wind age would indicate that I would shoot balls hat are 1.580". Most of the suppliers listed in the links sticky have 1.5" balls, which would be just under 37/40ths. Aside from reduced accuracy, would it be a problem to shoot 1.5" balls?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Balls
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
Try them and find out.

You could have Armorer77 build you a mould and have Rotometals cast you some zinc balls.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:48:34 PM »
     Robbob,   We never settled for reduced accuracy in our lives and we will do just about anything to increase it.  S0, when our friend Gary had a 1.75" bore and 1.681 steel balls with which to shoot, we said in unison,  "Sabbots !!"  The centering effect that sabots have on your solid shot is very helpful when you desire to hit the target not just near it.  Below are a few pics by way of explanation.  Good luck!

Tracy and Mike

Gary bought an inexpensive 2.00" spade drill bit from  Lowes  and Mike ground it on the pedestal grinder to a hemispherical shape, 1.685" wide for a easy, but no-rattle fit of the steel balls.  The O.D. of the sabot was turned to 1.74" dia. to easily slide down Gary's bore. Rake angle of edges is non-critical, but 20 deg. seems to work well.  Grind bevels so both sides will cut.  The wood is poplar, authentic Civil War munition sabot wood, but you can use any wood you want except balsa!

At about 2 minutes each, it didn't take too long to fill the box.

Out on the prairie, Gary's steel fox balls with lightly taped on sabots changed his 50 yard target results to consistently on rather than close to but hardly ever on.  In 2009 he did astounding work on a 500 yard target with this combo in Montana.  It was simply wonderful the way he worked that gun, the puffs of distant dust drew ever closer until Success!  Photo is of an early practice session in Colorado.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline robbob

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:39 AM »
Thanks Tracy and Mike, if only I had a lathe........

May look into rotometals, I really don't want to mess with casting my own balls.

Rob

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:13:17 AM »
Just remember when you shoot cast zinc balls that you shoot them at a back stop so the can be recovered and reshot.  The are a little expensive for an initial investment , but once one you have shot them for a while you won't shoot anything else.

Offline robbob

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:19:22 AM »
Just remember when you shoot cast zinc balls that you shoot them at a back stop so the can be recovered and reshot.  The are a little expensive for an initial investment , but once one you have shot them for a while you won't shoot anything else.

Yes indeed they are a bit expensive.  The golf ball size cast zinc balls they sell are $3 each!  I'm sure 1.580 would be the same price.  Of course for $100 bucks I could have a nice supply.  As long as I could recover them, it would be a small price to pay for a lifetime supply?.....plus another $100 for a mold.