Author Topic: recoil pad fitting advice needed  (Read 781 times)

Offline nipprdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
recoil pad fitting advice needed
« on: February 06, 2004, 11:08:11 AM »
finally getting around to replacing the old style pad on my 30-06 with one of the new, cushy pads.

need to take about an 1/8" off all around the pad. my neighbor has a belt sander I can use.

firstn time doing this. any suggestions on what types of sandpaper I need to get?
any other suggestion,tips?

Thanx!! :-)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
sanding recoil pad
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 01:55:11 PM »
Put  at least 2 layers of masking tape all around the stock prior to trying to do anysanding on it.You don't want to mar the finish on the stock.

You need to make a scribe mark all the way around the new pad to give you a place to rough sand down to,so go ahead and install the pad now and make the scribe mark on it.

After making the mark around it,I gennerally take them back off of the stock to do my rough sanding.I start out with 60 grit for a little bit,not heating the pad up to much as I go.The hardest part is following the contours,but if you go slow you should be alright.I then switch to 100 grit working more and more around with it.Go slow and don't heat the pad up too much.This should take you down to your mark  you made on the pad to start with.Depending on the thickness of the tape you put on your stock,you should be pretty close to having it done.You will need to put it back on the stock for the final sandiing.This is where you'll have to be very carefull when doing it.I switch over to 120 grit then 200 grit and do this part by hand using a sanding block.Sand down thru the first layer of tape and check the finish of it all around touching up where you need to.Remove the tape from the stock and check it again.If you don't want to sratch the finish on the stock...take the pad back off before continuing sanding......If you are going to refinsh the stock the just take the tape off of it completely to do the final sanding and it will meld with the stock a-lot easier. After all the sanding is down,I usually wipe some Rem Oil on it(lightly) and wipe it dry.

Hope that helps

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline nipprdog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 02:18:43 PM »
Mac, that helps a BUNCH!

had no idea where to start.

You don't want to mar the finish on the stock.

:agree: just refinished it last fall.

Go slow and don't heat the pad up too much.

I asked a coworker for some advice on this. he said "it'll stink up the garage".
he obviously didn't have the patience to do it right as you have described.

just printed it off.

thankx again

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Your Welcome
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 02:47:50 PM »
Good Luck with it :grin:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 03:25:39 PM »
Nipper: Good to hear from you. When it comes to finishing, try lubing your sandpaper with a little mineral oil/spirits. Good Luck: <>< :grin: Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 03:59:30 PM »
nipprdog
When I put pads on my son's rem 700's I was told to place masking tape on the flat part of the pad thad touched the stock.  Screw the pad into place then mark the outline on the tape.  Remove the pad and sand to the line.  It took about 6 try-ons to make them fit but that way there is no chance of damaging the stock.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline nipprdog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 10:28:37 AM »
Thanks Duce and Handirifle. probably won't start till sometime next week.