Author Topic: Focusing a scope  (Read 561 times)

Offline LouisV

• Trade Count: (0)
Focusing a scope
« on: February 15, 2004, 06:40:16 AM »
The instructions that come with most any scope say to loosen the eyepiece and adjust it until the recticle is clear looking at the sky or a blank wall. When I do this with any scope I own I don't see much difference any way I adjust it. I'm near sighted with glasses, do the glasses effect this? It's no problem because I see the reticle clearly,just curious if I was doing something wrong by not seeing any difference in the adjustment.  LouisV

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
Focusing a scope
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 01:31:08 PM »
"The instructions that come with most any scope say to loosen the eyepiece and adjust it until the recticle is clear looking at the sky or a blank wall."

That's the correct way to do it.  Focus the RETICLE until it's crisp.  Turn the eye-piece from one extreme to the other.  You'll see a difference.  Once you get it focused, you're done for THAT user.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
Focusing a scope
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 02:52:37 PM »
If you had a quick-focus eye-bell you would see a more noticable difference with just one or two revolutions but with the style you have, you sometimes have do some cranking before you see a difference.
MO

Offline Ramhunter

Focusing a Scope
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 04:30:42 AM »
One thing to consider when focusing a scope is that the human eye can adjust to compensate for slightly out of focus images.  Make sure when you are adjusting the focus that you look quickly at the reticle to see if it is in focus.  If it is not, make an adjustment and again quickly take another look without staring at it for along time.  This method should allow you to attain a sharp focus.

Offline dbuck

• Avid Poster
Focusing a scope
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 11:14:09 AM »
I don't know if this is the right way, but I take my rifle and scope and in the kitchen I rest it on the back of a chair and look out past the back yard and their is another house and I aim at the air conditioner of that house which is about 100 yards away with the name of the brand on it, I just set my scope on 6 and turn the adjustment until I can read the name on the air conditoner real clear and it's in focus.

dbuck

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Focusing a scope
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 01:39:54 PM »
I have made quick looks, stares and everything in between and I have never been able to tell a difference when making this adjustment.  I do not even try anymore.  You are not alone my friend, maybe we just have bionic eyes.

Offline LouisV

focusing a scope
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 05:26:01 AM »
I tried what 6x6 mentioned and went from one extreme to the other. It did get fuzzy when I had it screwed WAY back. Thanks for the replys. LouisV