Author Topic: PSA Lower  (Read 511 times)

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
PSA Lower
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
I just finished assembling a PSA lower with a Rock River lower parts kit and A2 buttstock.  I also added an Ergo SureGrip, a Timney drop-in 4 lb trigger group, and a Magpul enhanced trigger guard.  I think I'm gonna order a Rock River Predator Pursuit 20" upper for it.

I went with the Palmetto State Armory lower partly due to price, but mostly due to availability.  This is the first lower i've assembled entirely and I didn't want to screw up with a really nice one.  Conveniently, I think these are the only lowers that are available and shipping regularly at the moment.  Had I known assembling a lower would be so easy, I probably would have just ordered a Rock River lower, but this whole thing was a learning experience so I won't nitpick.

Overall, from what I can see, the lower is good quality.  There are no burrs or machining marks anywhere.  The phosphate coating is perfect, with no chips or marks anywhere.  The parts in the RRA kit fit perfectly - snug, but not too tight.  These lowers look to be as good as DPMS, Del-Ton, or other similar brands.  Durability will be the next test for this lower.  I will post a range report as soon as I get the upper and put a few rounds through it.

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
Re: PSA Lower
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »
So far PSA has quality, fit, finish, and PRICE, Good Stuff. The problem is when you finish adding ALL the quality parts, you can buy a RRA Lar15, Bushmaster, Stag, or similar quality AR15 all ready put together.  ::)

Regards PAH04
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: PSA Lower
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 04:42:50 PM »
The problem is when you finish adding ALL the quality parts, you can buy a RRA Lar15, Bushmaster, Stag, or similar quality AR15 all ready put together.

RRA stripped lowers are around $140.  The PSA was $80.  RRA does not offer Timney trigger groups on built rifles or lowers, so lets compare as best we can.  My lower = $420.  RRA standard lower + Ergo grip + oversize trigger guard + Timney Trigger = $530.

Throw the whole rifle into the equation...RRA Predator Pursuit 20" complete rifle + Timney trigger $1330.  My lower + RRA Predator Pursuit Upper =  $1045.

Sure, the savings aren't that great, but the whole point was to assemble it myself, anyway.  Not to mention, you might be able to find a few complete rifles here and there in your local gun shops, but if you don't find exactly what you're looking for and you gotta order it, you'll probably end up waiting 6 months for it.

Besides, i'm not saying everyone should run out and buy a PSA lower, anyway.  I just happened to get one for my own silly reasons and was very pleased with the quality you get for the price.