Author Topic: Bore legality in California?  (Read 603 times)

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
Bore legality in California?
« on: August 20, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »
Hey folk, I live in Merced county of California and from my talks to various law enforcement personnel, my little collection of muzzle loading artillery was, is, and will be legal in the area I live for some time, pending any Sacramento fopas.  My smallest bore is 1" in diameter and largest is 1.73 (or golf ball sized).  At no time did I ever propel a projectile nor do I plan on it.  These pieces are for noise (ie. fourth of July).  There was also mention of the amount of black powder any individual could hold and own.  I never order more that four pounds at a time and that happens when I am down and into my very last pound.  The powder I'm using is Pyrodex P, which I last knew as a "smokeless powder" not black powder.  Black powder has always been a bugger for me to get having to travel to certain places that can sell it, because they have to have an explosives license.  Not with Pyrodex however.  So I decided early on to use and get use to using Pyrodex in my mortars and anything black powder that I shot including 50 caliber hunting rifles.  I'm asking you folk to let me know where I stand and if there really is a "bore limit".  Besides, you could do much more damage with a .75 caliber barrel if you breech plugged both sides of the barrel than any golf ball mortar with an open muzzle.  I'm curious because a maker is wishing to make me a Stainless thunder mug with a golf ball bore, handle and base plate.  (It'd be kind of stupid to launch a projectile straight up in the air anyway.  I can't run  that fast and surely I'd be the one with a golf ball sized hole in my head).  Don't just give opinions Unless you know for a fact.  Give links that I can understand and pass on to the maker to ease his mind.  Thanks in advance.  Smithy.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Bore legality in California?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »
The board rules prohibit the offering a legal opinion.  The question you are asking is for a legal opinion.

I suggest you write a letter to the California State Attorney Generals office.  They are the only one who can give you a qualified binding opinion.

Anything any one say s here has no credibility.

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »
seriouse somthing is legal in California come over the hill for no worries mate

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:54:17 PM »
 This might help...

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Main_Page

CA regs regarding antique ordnance are available at the BATFE website as well as the CA DOJ website. Just gotta dig through them and find chapter and verse.

There are a few folks (including myself) in CA on this forum.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes