Author Topic: .270 Scout  (Read 686 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
.270 Scout
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »
I just ordered a stainless Scout in .270 by chance really, I just stumbled onto it while looking for BP rifles. I think CVA needs to advertise a bit more because until I spotted these on Monday, I've never heard of them. Well from what I've seen, they look to be well made and for the price I thought I'd give it a try. Hopefully I'll have it by Saturday and I'll let you know how it shoots.
Don   

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Re: .270 Scout
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:42:36 AM »
I was able to get to the range today with the Scout. I had loaded several different bullet and powder combinations to try and had the Nikon 3-9x40 scope mounted and bore sighted. On the bad side, I had a problem with light primer hits and several cartridges took more than one hit to fire. I'm hoping that was being caused by the hammer spur extension, that came factory mounted, slowing down the hammer. It is screwed into the hammer and was so tight I couldn't remove it at the range. I had to wait until I got home. Reaching the hammer without the spur is no problem so it's removal can only help. I'll be able to tell better on my next range trip. On the good side, I couldn't find a load the rifle didn't like. Almost all loads shot three shot groups at 50 yards measuring .4" and under! I loaded two batches to try on my next trip, one using 150gr. Speer SP bullets and the other 130gr. Hornady SST bullets. Both using H4831SC powder. Fit and finish on the rifle are excellent, cleaning the bore was fast telling me it's pretty smooth from the factory and trigger pull was right at 3lbs.
 Don

Offline Waldyo

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:19:50 AM »
Good to hear it shooting well, pity about the primer strikes (dodgy primers maybe, it does happen) maybe try a few factory rounds thru just in case?
I hope to pick up my (Bergara) Scout .222 next week, can't wait.
Cheers,
Waldyo

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 11:30:42 AM »
What kind of primers are you using? I have a few Handi's that do that with CCI but don't with Winchesters. And the receiver of the gun could have to much grease in it.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »
What kind of primers are you using? I have a few Handi's that do that with CCI but don't with Winchesters. And the receiver of the gun could have to much grease in it.

Winchester WLRs. I have my fingers crossed that it was the hammer spur.
Don