Author Topic: Rifled slug guns, 12 vs 20  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Tom H.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Rifled slug guns, 12 vs 20
« on: February 06, 2004, 02:01:53 AM »
I just picked up an NEF partner and plan to take advantage of the barrel program that they have going on.

My question is: is there is a measurable difference in accuracy between the 12 and the 20ga rifled guns?

I will probably be handloading most of my slugs (lee mold), but the newer ones from Winchester and the like although expensive, seem to turn it into a rifle and would be worth looking into if they shoot well enough.

If anyone has any experience with either it would be appreciated, certainly beats working it out from scratch.

Thanks

Tom

Offline jgalar

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 02:27:56 AM »
I don't believe Lee makes a mold for the 20. That would make the choice easier. :wink:

Offline naedlaen

Lyman has 20 Gage moulds
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 04:02:12 AM »
Lyman has 20 Gage moulds in two different configurations.

Neal

Offline Slug-Gunner

H&R Forum Open - ARCHIVE ONLY
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 07:45:42 AM »
Someone just posted on GBO that the old H&R Talk Forum was going to be open until 20 FEB 2004 as ARCHIVE/READ ONLY. You may want to go over there and read about many of the discussions on H&R/NEF 12 ga vs. 20 ga and even some (with data) on evaluations of the different slug/sabot loads available for each.

I plan on going back over there and saving a lot of these discussions to a file on my hard drive, just for reference purpose and future referal, if needed.

:eek:  :-D  :shock:  :wink:
HUNT SAFELY - THINK AT ALL TIMES!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 07:51:26 AM »
I don't think there is discernable difference in accurac between 12 and 20 ga from my experience and reading. I haven't shot any of the new 20ga sabot slugs though and some paople have declared them superior.

If you are just going to shoot rifled slugs you don't need the ultrabarrel.The rifling will get heavily leaded pretty quickly and I hear it's a real bear to get out.

If you shoot past 50 yards and you really want rifle like accuracy these modern slugs are amazing.I shoot the 12ga federal premiums with the barnes expander bullet. Both of he dar I shot this year dropped right on the spot.One at 65 and one at 75 yards.

If your using the barrel accesory program another optin is the tracker II barrel if you dont mind iron sights. I plan on sending mine in for  20 ga trackerII and 20 ga ultra barrels this summer. I think it was Jeff 223 that posted a lot about his success with the 20 ga. I heard enough good suff about it that I definitely want one.

About the price of sabot slugs vs rifled slugs. I shot two boxes this year for a grand total of $24.00. I know it would have been alot cheaper to shoot the old rifled slugs But the per year isn't that great and the added accuracy and range is worth it to me
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jeff223

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 09:41:40 AM »
this is my son but he is holding my 20ga ultraslug.he thought he would try it rather than his 1100 and look what happened

the 20ga sabot slugs of today are real good performers.the Fed. barnes expander slugs perform good on game
the slug on the left is a barnes expander recovered from a buck i shot.
i dont think you can go wrong with a 20ga ultraslug

[/img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pe18521df9d77cb345683d75d00252a2a/fac8e76d.jpg

Offline jeff223

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 09:45:40 AM »
try again

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 09:52:53 AM »
I like my ultra 20 over my 12 gauge slug gun for one really big reason, recoil.  I can sit in a stand or from a bench rest and shoot 3" mag 20 gauge federal sabots and see the target move on impact.  With a 12 gauge I'm not seeing much of anything for a second or three after I pull the trigger on a 12 gauge 3" mag slug.

So, in the end, knowing I'm not getting kicked by a mule I shoot better/more accurately.  So while their is probably no inherent difference in accuracy of the 12 and 20 gauge H&R slug guns (tracker or ultra) there may be a mental difference in the shooter that makes the 20 more accurate.

Also, if you bought a .410 - 12 gauge pardner you can put either the 12 or 20 gauge tracker (iron sight) barrel on it, or the 20 gauge ultra barrel.  The 12 gauge ultra barrel only fits on the 10 gauge shotgun frame.  The 20 gauge ultra is a 12 gauge barrel blank, untapered, with a 20 gauge bore drilled through it.  The 12 gauge ultra is the 10 gauge barrel with a 12 gauge bore drilled through it.

The tracker barrels are much lighter, not tapped for a scope, and are considered by many to ba carry slug guns because they are so light.  And because of the light weight also have much more recoil than their heavier obiese ultra brothers.  Which come with a scope mount but no iron sights.  Most consider the ultra as a stand/poster gun because of the weight.

I hope this helps.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Tom H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 04:28:23 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice and info.  Took a trip around the H&R site and went thru many of those posts.

The 20 will get the nod.  I will probably pick up both rifled barrels and the muzzleloader in one shot.  I already cut a new stock with a higher comb (needed a project) so that is taken care of.  Looks a bit nicer then the factory one as well.

As for the accuracy I should have known better.  Have to try it out for myself :?

Thanks again.

Good shooting.

Tom