Author Topic: Want to "saw it off"  (Read 1429 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Want to "saw it off"
« on: February 08, 2004, 03:26:30 PM »
What's the best way to do a little trimming on Pardner 12 barrel. I know there were some posts on this at the old site but any new info or just the old info would be appreciated. I'd like to do the job myself and not go to a smith.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 03:35:41 PM »
:? Don't know alot about scatterguns but... don't you mess up the choke when you cut one? 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 03:42:14 PM »
Yes it will --that's what I want. One of the old posts talked about a tubing cutter I think. Surely this is not the kind plumbers and A/C guys use for copper is it?
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Badnews Bob

Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 03:47:34 PM »
:? Maybe but I think one for cutting iron pipe would be more like it.

Why do you want to get rid of the choke? Just curious ya know :grin:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 03:53:07 PM »
Want to get it down to a smooth bore "brush gun" and a wide pattern close shot shotgun. Gonna have 20 ga. barrels added to the receiver later and couldn't figure out what to do with the 12 ga. barrel and I think this would be a fun thing to do with it.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Badnews Bob

Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 03:57:07 PM »
Kewl, like I said ...Don't know nuttin bout no scatter guns. :P
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Duce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 04:20:41 PM »
Lik2hunt: Remember legal length is 18" cut it 18 1/4" or so for a fudge factor. A good tubing cutter will do, one with a throat about 1" deep, even if all you do is mark it true, then finish with a hacksaw. Then you'll need to finish up with a file and check with a square. A tubing cutter will displace medal to the inside leaving a ridge that you'll have to be filed out, I used a chainsaw file for a long while. <>< :grin: Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
Cutting a barrel
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 04:39:23 PM »
Yes you can use a GOOD tube cutter to start off with to give you a good line to finish the cut use a Fine tooth hack saw.... then check it with a square and dress it up with a fine file to get rid of any rough spots.

How much are you oging to take off the barrel ?

Dave H.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Badnews Bob

Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 04:42:07 PM »
:? How dose that limit the range of a shotgun? Will it still throw a preditable pattern? :?:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 04:47:25 PM »
A pipe  cutter will do the job but you will have to go slow or you will break the wheel scaring it with one and then useing the hacksaw is a good idea then a pipe reamer will make a smother job than a file :-)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 05:37:52 PM »
I'm not sure how far back I am gonna take it probably back to 21" is what I am thinking right now. Maybe some of ya got some good input on that too. A pipe cutter is what I was thinking was talked about at the old forum and as usual you guys have come thru again with all the right answers and help. I don't know about the shot pattern at 21" with no choke but I assume it will be quite wide..similar to an open cylindered gun...but that's what I'm after - and the option of shooting rifled slugs also, and at 21" that should hold them to adequate accuracy out to about 40-50yds.
I hope. What do ya'll think?
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 05:39:22 PM »
Bob cutting the choke off of a shotgun makes it a cyl bore.  I did this with a old mossberg model 185 bolt action 20 ga.   It turned out great.  Now I only took 4 ins off the barrel just enough to remove the choke.  When I first mounted the red dot on it I ran a box of low brass field loads through it to seat the red dot. And it gave a good pattern out to about 25 yrds.  But man does she shoot the good ole cheap rifled slugs great.  I'm getting a 3 1/2 " group at 50 yrds with it.

Dave H.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 11:35:10 AM »
ok first off you need to be careful cutting a shotgun down. 18 in legal, i like 19 inch myself, some of them cops have very short yard sticks. i have mine done by a local machine shop, it comes out looking like factory barrel, other then the blueing, which is easily reapplied. and it costs me a grand total of $15. or i pay my gun smith $25, and he does a good job, and drills and taps the hole, and puts the bead back on. $10 more to have a bead back on it, well worth it, but i drill and tap my own, or add a scope rail. i have a 12ga barrel out right now being cut, drilled, and having a base added.  i am going for a smoothbore slug thrower. i will have to wait and see how it comes out.  but one thing is for sure, its going to be a mean old mule, with a hell of a kick. but thats ok. i got a stock weight, and i am thinking i may even add weight to the fore end. but i will wait and see just how bad "the old mule" really kicks. but i will post pics, and range info when i get it back , and sighted in. and i guess the only thing i have to say about the pipe cutter idea, which does work.  isi would rather spend a few bucks, and have it done so it looks factory new, and i have never seen one done out back in the shed with uncle bob's pipecutters come out looking real good. but if you guys want to do it, more power to you, i just dont trust myself to get it looking like new.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline .308

• Contributor
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 11:45:17 AM »
Quote from: VarmintController
 some of them cops have very short yard sticks.

:-D  :-D  :-D  :wink:

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 01:26:04 AM »
VC --- you make some real good points there bud, Gonna really ponder them before I do anything. Kinda want to go for the slug gun more than the wide shot pattern anyway. I'll check on some gunsmiths in my area and get back to ya on it.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Want to cut it down...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 02:35:02 AM »
Just FYI, when I had my Pardner cut off to add choke tubes several years back, the gunsmith refused to cut it below 22". He said that the ATF had ruled that on single/double barreled shotguns with intregal chambers they did not consider the chamber or even the tapered forcing cone area part of the barrel for measurement.

He said it must be 18+ inches from the muzzle to the start of the forcing cone taper on these style guns.

I don't know how true this is, I'm just putting it out there...

- perklo

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2004, 03:40:41 AM »
Lik2hunt, that'd be a heck of a good one to take into the brush for calling coyotes.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Badnews Bob

Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2004, 07:27:27 AM »
Perklo, your gunsmith was absolutely correct. Barrel lenght dose not include chamber or forcing cone, Thats a common misconception but an easy thing to look for.  8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2004, 12:47:05 PM »
Wlscott wrote:
Lik2hunt, that'd be a heck of a good one to take into the brush for calling coyotes.

I never thought about it but I bet you're right. Maybe with right shot placement I could get a kill and skin all in one huh?  :-D   :)
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2004, 12:56:10 PM »
Talked to two gunsmiths to day, each said they would do the trim and replace the bead . One was $25 and the other $35. One was unwilling to drill and tap and the other said if there was enough metal at the chamber then ok, but he also suggested adding rifle sights. I just measured my barrel and it is 27 1/2'' from chamber to muzzle. I just want enough off to remove the choking. VC or others --- what about the scope rail? -- does it require the same drill and tap? I assume it does but wouldn't it be easier to install and use than conventional scope base?
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2004, 01:26:30 PM »
scope rail, or base which ever you want to call it, its all the same idea, and will serve the same purpose, that to add a scope.  rifle sights are not a bad idea, if thats what you want.  but there is not much metal at the end of the barrel, so it would have to silver soldered on.  on the rule for lenth, i thought it was from where the chamber ended??? not the force cone?? look at it like this, you have a 3 inch chamber, and you add 19.5 inches to it. you end up with a 22.5 inches in all for the barrel including the 3 inch chamber. now from what i understand, and please correct me if i am wrong,  is legal. now i might be wrong, would not be the first time, but if i am, i could be in trouble. i got a NWTF 12ga, with a close to 12 inch long custom force cone job. now 12 inches from the 24 inch full choke it came with the gun, leaves me with a 12 iches of barrel to count, and makes it well under 18 inches, so something tell me this had better not be the case. someone please let me know if this is the case.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline S.S.

Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2004, 01:28:44 PM »
Check the legal implications of doing that first.
I seem to remember seeing that called a
"Modified Firearm" in some Legal jargon
I was going through.
I believe that it may be illegal to "SAW OFF"
a shotgun (Or Rifle for that matter) now.
I think we can thank "Slick Willie" Clinton
for that one.
I would hate to see the feds come knocking
on your door and find a CLASS III "MODIFIED
FIREARM" in your home.
In keeping with the afore mentioned RULES of this
forum, I'll keep my opinion of that law to myself!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
what choke is best?
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2004, 04:07:41 AM »
Once upon a time...I had a "police riot" gun.  It had an 18 in improved cylinder bore.  It shot slugs very acurately.  What is the best bore recomended for shooting slugs out of a smooth barrel?  Would the "standard" 22 in modified barrel (part number 150 in catalog) work for this?  This would give you pretty good spread of shot, short barrel (22in), and a smooth bore to fire slugs.  The question is, is a "modified" cylinder bore to much restriction for slugs?  I was thinking of getting this barrel for shot and slugs provided it is not to much restriction.

Matt

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2004, 02:53:26 PM »
Some one posted a while back on the old h&R board the BATF reg for this and I thought it said 18" to the breech face. I would just buy a 22"mod survivor barrel. They don't list it but CS told me they would do it.This was last year and who knows what they'd say now. I had the same idea mine was for a truck gun.Syn stock, short barrel and I really need a gun like this no matter what my wife says.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Want to "saw it off"
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2004, 03:43:54 PM »
Delivered the Pardner to a gunsmith today to have the choking removed and the bead put back on. Will probably get it back at about 22-23" total length. Thanks for all the help about the "do it yourself" job guys but I feel better this way. I'll post some pics and range results when I get it back and run a few boxes of slugs thru her. :eek:
 Just kiddin' ya man. :)  A few rounds will probably be all my shoulder will take. I'll let ya'll know.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org