Author Topic: Is the .243 still popular with varmit shooters???  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Is the .243 still popular with varmit shooters???
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »
 ;) Had a couple .243's years ago..light barreled models..shot them at varmits, then got into the .22 centerfires.. lately I have added a .25-06 and .270 for long range windy day coyote rifles..but have been thinking about a 700 laminated varmiter in 243....you guys still use the .243 on varmit, or is it mostly a deer rifle these days????

Offline guzzijohn

Re: Is the .243 still popular with varmit shooters???
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 03:14:03 AM »
I do. Still a great varmint round. Drops coyotes like greased lightning, plus you still have a deer rifle. You can shoot 55 gr. through 100gr. bullets which gives a lot of versatility.
GuzziJohn

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:20:32 AM »
Last deer I took with the 243 was early 70's since then been a varmint rifle along with the 243AI.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »
Varmint hunters who are concerned about saving pelts probably dont use the .243 much, but I love mine for coyotes....I use 87 grain V-Max bullets - never had one run off, either...

Offline hillbill

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
ive shot a bunch of varmints with 243 for sure. on coyote mine with 100 grn rems leaves about a half dollar size exit wound.not sure what that does to the price of the fur as they been so low here i dont bother to skin them.awesum kills on groundhogs and wild tame cats. also worked very well on deer for the 20 yrs i hunted with it.if i could not have a 6.5 type round i would pick 243 as my only centerfire round.

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 03:35:07 PM »
I used the 243 for years, (mostly with the 87 gr, Hornadays) then also got into the big 22's, such as the 22-250, 220 Swift but bought an early M722 in .244 Rem a few years ago. It actually still had the slow twist that the round was originally saddled with. It delivers great groups with Sierra 75 gr. HP's and devastating results on the coyotes. The fur suffers of course but they are not worth much anyway.
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 06:40:34 AM »
Have owned and love a .243 for many years.

Used the 95 and 100gr Nosler partitions when possible for game animals and mostly the 75gr HPs for vermin.

However, check out the .55gr Nosler Balistic tip!  If your barrel has the correct twist to stablize that weight, it is a real wiz bang way to go.

First time I ever saw 4000 + fps from one of my rifles was during tests with that bullet.  Needed to back off a bit to get the groups, but WOW was it fast.

Will burn more powder and kick harder, but it is still one whale of a varmit rifle.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 07:17:59 AM »
 ;D Hey, Darrell, Niced to hear from you again...summer is almost up on us...Haven't bought the .243 yet, as I said had some in the past, but none for 15 years or so..when I get it, I will give these a try..hope you are having a great spring...Any steelhead or salmon?????

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »
Hey there Hunter,

I didn't even look to who the O.P. was on this thread.  Just followed the question.

Went salmon fish'in for the first time yesterday, and likely #2 will be early on Saturday.

Did see one caught, but it should only get better in the next few days as the salmon move up river.

The one we saw caught yesterday, was right at the the Northfork dam and was a nice fish in about the 12 - 14lb range.

The salmon are a good bit thicker through then a steelhead of the same length, so it make for a nice fish.

We were fishing from what is called, "the wall" right at the base of the dam when this fellow hooked up.  Only allowed one adult salmon on the Northfork this year, so he was done for the day.

I normally don't fish the wall, as I don't like combat fishing.  However, there were only four of us there so it was good.

have a good one.

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »
I have used a 243 for varmint hunting before, though at present I'm not typically out varmint hunting at all.  The 70 grain TNTs are very aptly named. :)
My brother has a 243, too, and he shoots _lots_ of varmints.  He likes it alright, though for long-range and/or cross winds (not to be confused with crosswinds) he will almost always bring out the 25-06.  I sold my 243 bolt gun over a year ago because I just don't like the cartridge very well.  I got another 243 fairly recently because I really wanted the rifle platform, and it was a good deal.  Recent shooting with it reminded me that I dislike the cartridge itself (the 243 Winchester cartridge, not the 24-cal or the particular bullets or anything like that).  It isn't particularly reliable in terms of pressures.
So, I stick with my 223 or go to the 25 WSSM at this point.  Let us know if you end up with that 243!

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
Well yesterday, after my range session at a friend's range, put 5 of his excess ground critters to sleep with 5 shots from my old 243.

55gr Nosler Balistic tip, makes em go night night!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
Darrell, sorry I missed your post about salmon fishing...I was probably either turkey hunting or at my girl friend's place helping her get her stuff packed to move to Wy...glad you got in some fishing..would like to catch a salmon some time..Haven't shot this .243 much  just got it..bought a variety of bullets to try...I think 65's are the lightest...it is a heavy barreled model..had several light ones, but just never could get them to shoot to suit me..which is very unusual for that caliber...glad you got to shoot some varmits..I love that..it is one of the things that keeps me in this little valley..take care keep me posted on the elk hunt....good luck..

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 01:03:44 PM »
Sure would like to take on some pasture poodles some time, but it had been a long time since I touched off a center fire at a ground critter.

The light boolits in the 243 are about like using a 22/250, but I am pushing em right at the upper limits of the 22/250.

Have seen 4000fps with the 243, but the groups sucked.

I am getting a bit over an inch, and sometimes a bit less.  The rifle has always been a really good shooter, but with me being at least the 3rd owner of this old flatbolt RUGER, the barrel is likely to be getting a bit tired.

Plus, some say that some 243s don't do well with that light a bullet.  So, guess I'll be happy with what I have.

If I did a rebarrel, would want a really good barrel so that could go 400 - 500 bucks.

The rifle is a special item, so would not trade it off, but a rebarrel might be an option.  Then it would out last the Ol'Coot.

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline va243hntr

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 07:21:19 AM »
Still a huge fan of the 243 and it is one of three dedicated varmit rifles although I am a 270 fan for deer, the 243 with a 75GR Hp over IMR 4350 is pure death on varmits and shoots great but as you can tell I am bias on the 243 it was my first ground hog gun and it will not be my last but my favorite I will add a 6X45 and a 6.5 grendel to the family next year just because my son wants to hunt and the AR platform fits him very well

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 04:44:32 AM »
However, check out the .55gr Nosler Balistic tip!  If your barrel has the correct twist to stablize that weight, it is a real wiz bang way to go.
Any .243 has a barrel with a twist that will stabilize that bullet.  Twist only becomes a concern with long bullets.  The 55gn BT is quite short and stability isn't an issue.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 03:21:23 PM »
Helotaxi,

You may be correct (?), but in my reading on this and other very light for caliber bullets in the 243/6mm, rate of twist in some barrels IS an issue.

I have used this caliber for many years, and it has not been until recent years that there was any move towards using these light for caliber bullets.

Sure are tough on furry little ground critters!

CDOC

300 Winmag

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 04:03:43 AM »
You may be correct (?), but in my reading on this and other very light for caliber bullets in the 243/6mm, rate of twist in some barrels IS an issue.
In that regard, I'll say consider the source and whether they actually know what they're talking about.  You're likely getting info from guys on the net whose rifles didn't like that particular bullet or load and they attributed it to the rate of twist (because they knew just enough in that regard to be dangerous) rather than just accept that their rifle didn't like the ammo.

SAAMI spec for the .243 is a 1:10 twist and for the 6mm Rem is a 1:9 twist.  Savage uses a 1:9.25 twist in their .243s.  I have two Savage .243 barrels with that twist rate and the 55-58gn bullets shoot extremely well from them.  My next step is to develop a load for my fast twist .243 (1:8)

The only real problem that has ever been demonstrated when using a fast twist barrel with a light weight bullet is with very fragile .224 bullets originally made for the .222 Rem and the 1:12 or 1:14 twist that was common in that chambering being fired from a .22-250 or .223 with a fast (1:9 or 1:7 for the .223) rate of twist.  Those bullets didn't have stability problems, they had integrity problems.  The forces involved in firing them would rip them apart.

Compare that to the 55gn .243 bullets.  They are, as you said, a fairly new breed.  They were designed from the get go to be fired in a high velocity cartridge with a minimum rate of twist of 1:10.  As such they exhibit no problems with grenading in flight and since they are short bullets, stability is not an issue at all.  In theory, the higher than absolutely necessary rate of spin will affect accuracy, but that effect is not appreciable in a practical application.  In an otherwise perfect rifle/bullet combo, it's essentially the difference between a 5-shot group that makes a single ragged hole and a 5-shot group that makes a single hole where each subsequent round merely cuts the fluff around the edge of the hole a little bit cleaner.

Offline DannoBoone

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 03:40:49 PM »
Helotaxi,

"SAAMI spec for the .243 is a 1:10 twist and for the 6mm Rem is a 1:9 twist.  Savage uses a 1:9.25 twist in their .243s.  I have two Savage .243 barrels with that twist rate and the 55-58gn bullets shoot extremely well from them.  My next step is to develop a load for my fast twist .243"

I have a VLP (Mod 12) in .243 with the 1:9.25 twist. This rifle is insanely accurate with 70gr MK's and 105gr V-Max's. It shoots most other bullets
tried around MOA or less, EXCEPT the 55gr bullets. Three inch groups is about the best gotten with it. If you would be so kind, what loads
do you use with them, and what depth do you seat the bullets?
We need to change our politicians
like we do dirty diapers.............
for the same reason.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 09:17:14 PM »
Missed this thread by a few months WCH.

My last ".24" purchase was again for predators, but this time for a couple of specific properties where I did the ADC for the landowners.   Windy places, with ranch hands that routinely took pot shots at the predators when happened on.    So even when called in they always hung up at longer ranges, often 300-600 yards out and wouldn't budge any closer.    Had lots of other 24, 25 ans 26 caliber wildcats that could get it done just fine.    But I wanted to try out the newest .24 on the block... far superior ballistically to the standard .243 Win - would bust the wind better, shoot flatter and retain more energy.   So I bought a new Winchester 70 Featherweight Classic Deluxe in 243WSSM, and all new accessories for it... Leupold mounts, a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14X40 WD RE, deluxe Redding dies, 1500 pieces of brass and a bunch of NBT's for it.   That was in 2004, unfortunately by the time I got all the goodies assembled my health failed, so I never got to use any of it.   Most of it still sits NIB, kept just in case I'd eventually get to try it out.  I didn't, but I'm sure it would have been the bee's knee's for long range P&V and up to deer/pronghorn hunting.

BTW, I know a guy who still has the .243 Win sporter he got in high school many decades ago.   He's cleanly killed mule deer well past 500 yards with it, and it's his go to for long range P&V hunting that he is also very good at.   Chalk up one more for the old addage about the man who only carries one gun.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
Helotaxi,

"SAAMI spec for the .243 is a 1:10 twist and for the 6mm Rem is a 1:9 twist.  Savage uses a 1:9.25 twist in their .243s.  I have two Savage .243 barrels with that twist rate and the 55-58gn bullets shoot extremely well from them.  My next step is to develop a load for my fast twist .243"

I have a VLP (Mod 12) in .243 with the 1:9.25 twist. This rifle is insanely accurate with 70gr MK's and 105gr V-Max's. It shoots most other bullets
tried around MOA or less, EXCEPT the 55gr bullets. Three inch groups is about the best gotten with it. If you would be so kind, what loads
do you use with them, and what depth do you seat the bullets?
I've moved all my lightweight bullets into the pool for the 6x45 AR and I didn't keep my notes from the .243.  I think I was using Varget and the seating depth was on the short side compared to what I normally would go with simply because the bullets don't have much of a bearing surface to begin with.

I assume that you meant 105gn Amax since there is no Vmax over 87gn in .243. ;)