Author Topic: Make a case for weight or volume of powder charge...  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Blackhawk44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Make a case for weight or volume of powder charge...
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 10:21:31 AM »
Developing the most consistant technique in operating the powder measure is probably the most important point.  With good consistant operation, measured loads are competition competitive, even from what some think of as mediocre quality measures.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 10:29:44 AM »
I have always weighed every long gun powder charge, except, as below, those that are thrown by the progressive press (.223's).  Handgun charges are typically progressive thrown and while the setup is weighed to achieve the charge desired, each and every round is not/cannot be weighed, so some reliance on volume is realized as I doubt the progressive is delivering the exact 0.05 grain charge each and every time. 

I state this as I know each powder charge thrown for a weighed long gun round is rarely exact.  If every charge thrown was exact after setup, the need for a powder trickler would be unnecessary.

I have read very few discussions on volumetric charge dispensing.  Some powder manufacturers make ladles for that purpose.  Mostly, powder mfg's publish charge weights.  So I stick to charge weight for long guns and to charge volume for handguns and .223's (as ascertained by first weighing the setup charge) as an accurate substitute in those progressive applications when each charge weight cannot be ascertained.
I measure weight on  all rounds that I hunt with . I weigh all rounds I shoot long distance like in IMHSA (turkeys and rams) . I also profile crimp , all handgun and all rifle with a crimp ring. I snug other rifle bullets. Short distance a small error in weight won't be as noticable as at distance IMHO. With hunting rounds it just makes sense to me . Why go to the trouble to work up loads buy the best componets then slack on the loading process ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 10:55:40 AM »
I weigh Bullseye and Unique and such like powders.  Most ball powder I drop.  I also have some measures made from cut down cases that I once used, and still might for specific loads.

The variation in scales, etc, is why there is a min / max in every chart, and we are cautioned to "work up"  If your scale is off a bit, and most are, this places you in safer territory.  JMO.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 06:34:47 AM »
If you are going to measure your powder, why not make a dipper the proper size? Then you do not have to go through all the hassle of weighing your charges and reset them every time. Just make one for each cartridge/load. If it is a straight walled case, use as is. If it is a bottle necked case cut off at the shoulder, but if that is not big enough, go to the next bigger cartridge and cut down as far as needed, such as a 300 Win magnum for a 30-06 or a 30-06 for a 308 etc. Solder on a handle and drill and tap the head through the primer hole for a 1/4 X 28 screw for powder adjustments (bigger diameter screw for the big boys). Once you get the load you want with the powder you are going to use, lock the screw down with a jam nut and you are set to go. As with any powder measuring device, technique has to be the same from one throw to the next. Such as dip, tap on table, strike off excess, dump and tap. Viola, a poor mans' measure.

Good Luck and Good Shooting 
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 06:37:40 AM »
what have you gained if you still use a dipper ?

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 06:39:25 AM »
I use a dipper to transfer powder to scale, gets me within a grain of desired weight

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 06:46:35 AM »
I use a powder dump then a trickler to fine tune . It is very fast and accurate .

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
what have you gained if you still use a dipper ?

What is the difference using a dipper? Once you have it adjusted, there is no more adjustments to be made. You just pick it up and start loading. No need to make adjustments, no need to check the scale. My biggest complaint about using a thrower, was all the adjustments that needed to be made before you could get down to loading. It wasn't that it was not accurate enough. I loaded some very good 222 Remington loads with an RCBS Uniflow using BL C2. I just got tired of adjusting the thrower every time I switched powders or cases, not to mention I was limited on what powders I used. That is why I weigh my loads now. I just calibrate the scale, punch in the weight I want and away I go.

Of course you can do it any way you want, it is still a free country. It was just a suggestion.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 01:33:15 AM »
I thought you were just using a dipper likre the lee dippers . I had a bunch of cases with copper wire sodered to them that were for different loads but they were never close enough . Yep its a free country !

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 05:23:42 AM »
I thought you were just using a dipper like the lee dippers . I had a bunch of cases with copper wire sodered to them that were for different loads but they were never close enough . Yep its a free country !

I agree that Lee dippers are not some times close enough, that is why I suggested a way to adjust the dipper. But is only a suggestion, you do as you wish. There has to be a hundred different ways to get a charge of powder into a case. I say do what you like, I really do not think it makes a whole lot of difference, as long as it is consistent within reason.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2012, 09:16:11 AM »
I weigh every one, but fill the pan with a Lee dipper.
If I need a calibrated dipper, I drip candle wax in the bottom of the next size up dipper, then gently scrape some out with a screw driver til I get it just right.
Finish off with a trickler.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »
I weigh every one, but fill the pan with a Lee dipper.
If I need a calibrated dipper, I drip candle wax in the bottom of the next size up dipper, then gently scrape some out with a screw driver til I get it just right.
Finish off with a trickler.

Good idea, like I said.... a hundred different ways

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
In my own use, I have found that returning to the volume setting on my measure and just throwing charges gives me better consistency across lot changes and changes as powder ages, than using a scale does.  YMMV.