Author Topic: CVA rifles  (Read 1692 times)

Offline rosewood

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
CVA rifles
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:53:44 AM »
Ok, maybe there is already a topic on this, but I haven't found it yet.  It would be nice if a sticky is added on this subject.

What are the different CVA rifles and their differences.   I know some have interchangeable barrels and some do not.  I have also heard that some of the non-interchangeable rifle barrels may fit on one of the interchangeable receivers.  Can someone explain the different rifles?  CVA's webpage seems to focus on black powder not the center fire options so it is hard to tell what is going on with them.  Are some of these the same rifles with different features?

Optima Elite
Stalker
Hunter
Apex
Accura
Scout
Wolf
and maybe some I didn't mention

Thanks,

Rosewood

Offline muznut 54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: CVA rifles
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:07:34 AM »
The Apex can take center-fire, rim-fire and muzzy barrels same with the Optima Elite. The Stalker and the Scout are fixed barrel center-fires. The others are all muzzle'loaders only.

Offline rosewood

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:14:25 PM »
Are the Apex and Optima Elite barrels interchangeable?

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »
No they are not. The apex barrels are thicker at the breech.

Offline rosewood

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:35:25 AM »
I just looked at a Hunter and a Stalker in Academy (both centerfire).  It appears that the Hunter has fixed sites and the Stalker is only drilled for scope.  I also noticed the Hunter has a release in front of the trigger guard and the Stalker has the lever behind like the Optima.  Both of these had Optima Elite stamped on the barrel, but Hunter or Stalker on the frame.

Does the Apex have the release in front like the Hunter?  I am guessing this is an improvement/upgrade.  I have had the lever behind the trigger guard on my Stalker pinch me if not careful.  Is the Apex an upgrade on the Optima-Elite?  I guess I really don't see the point in having both lines.

Thanks.

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
The Apex has the action release behind the trigger. Not sure what the Hunter is. Is it a version of the scout?

Offline rosewood

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »
Ok, been doing some research and I think I have most of it figured out myself.

Accura, Optima, and Wolf are (BP only)
The Accura has the same breech open mechanism as the Apex.
The Optima and Wolf open like the Scout.

Optima Elite: is an interchangeable barrel model that I believe they have now replaced with the Apex.  The breech open mechanism for the Elite was a lever behind the trigger guard that could pinch you.

Apex:  They now have the breech open system that looks a lot like the Encore, the barrels are interchangeable centerfire and BP.  It is only available in Stainless.

Scout: Is a centerfire only gun with the breech open mechanism in front of the trigger guard.  I believe it can be had with either iron sites or scope base.  Stainless or blue.

Hunter: I believe this is the Academy Sports version of the Scout.  All of the ones I have seen have the open sites.  It is not on the CVA webpage.

Stalker: This is a centerfire only gun.  This gun has a breech open lever behind the trigger guard just like the Optima Elite.  The barrels even say Optima Elite.  I wonder if this is a modified Optima Elite they created to use up their Optima Elite parts since they replaced it with the Apex.  I read where someone stated that the Optima Elite barrels wouldn't fit on this gun, but the barrel off of the Stalker would work on the Optima Elite.  I guess they modified the receiver and or barrels to prevent interchangeablility.  I have only seen the stalker without sites and drilled and tap, no scope base installed.  I suspect once the supply runs out, the Stalker will not be available any more and the Hunter or Scout will be the only option.
The Stalker may be an Academy Sports version of a modified Optima Elite.  The Stalker is not on the CVA webpage.

Please chime in if you find any errors in my research or opinion or anything to add.

Hopefully this thread will help someone that is considering buying one of these to know exactly what they are getting.  When I bought my Stalker a few weeks back, I really had no idea what the options were or what any of the other CVA guns were.

Now the question is, will CVA ever make the Apex in a pistol version to compete with the Encore?

Rosewood.