Author Topic: Recovered Bullet  (Read 772 times)

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Recovered Bullet
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
This bullet was fired into damp clay from a .357 4" revolver at a distance of about 10 feet. It was a Dardas 158 gr SWC, BHN of 16, sitting on top of 13.5 gr of AA#9, velocity about 1250 FPS. Not much expansion but very good penetration. Recovered weight was 149 gr.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Recovered Bullet
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
Pretty much what you would expect, eh?
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »
I really didn't know what to expect, I've never recovered a bullet before.

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:29:57 AM »
 How deep into the clay did it go? What did the "wound" cavity look like, small straight hole or an ice cream cone? I prefer an ice cream cone style wound channel and about 12 to 14 inches of penetration. I cast my own and generally go for 12BHN in the revolvers. I would not scoff at YOUR results though. IF they are accurate in your gun, go with them. MY way of thinking is , I'd rather hit a bad guy with a NAIL than miss him with a 12 gauge slug!

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 04:54:46 AM »
I'm thinking it went about 8 in or so. It's hard to tell because I was shooting it into a sloped berm and as I was digging it out much of the berm crumbled away. I'm not altogother certain on the wound channel either, as it got destroyed by my digging. I didn't really give much thought to those areas, I was more interested in what the bullet looked like.
 I do know this though, when  I shot a 120 lb pig last spring it went throught the skull and shattered the neck bone.  That was at 15 yards or so. A shoulder shot at 30 yards was a complete pass through.
As far as accuracy, it's more accurate than I am. ;)