Author Topic: 45LC CONVERSION SHOOTING  (Read 439 times)

Offline Deer Dave

• Trade Count: (2)
45LC CONVERSION SHOOTING
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:39:36 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have a few ROA Revolvers and I would like to purchase all the equiptment I would need to reload and shoot the 45 LC cartridges.

I would appreciate info regarding what is the best cylinder to purchase and where.

What bullet grain weight to use and style of bullet...flat top? round nose? Where to buy them?

I don't think I will be casting them as of now....but maybe in the near future.

What type/brand of powder and recommended grains to use with the bullet?

A set of Redding dies? I have a Redding Big Boss Press.

Primers?

And anything else I would need to shoot with the conversion cylinder in my ROA'S

Thank You!
David

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 45LC CONVERSION SHOOTING
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »
I have no knowledge of cylinder types but I can help you with the reloading questions.
The forst thing you'll need is some reloading gear and some reference books. Hornady, Lee, and RCBS all make starter kits that will have nearly everything you need, with the exception of dies & components. For reference I suggest the Lyman  #49. It's my go-to manual.
As far as loads & bullets, it's all about application.  Cast bullets are plentiful for this cartridge, a quick online search will provide you with all the sources you'll ever need. I've used bullets from Dardas, Missouri Cast, Moyers, Friendswood, Western,and probably one or two others I can't think of at the moment with good results.
Loading cast is a little different than loading jacketed in that the bullet needs to be .001"-.002" larger than the bore to get a good seal. Standard bore on the .45 Colt is .451" and most of your cast bullet makers offer them at .452"-.454".  Some also offer a gas checked bullet, but you'll not need those for a standard 45 Colt load. Those are inteded more for the .454 Casull, so save your money.
Standard load for a 45 Colt is a bullet weighing 265 gr with a velocity of around 900 FPS or so. However, lighter and heavier options are available. I load for a recoil sensative coworker that likes a mild round so my choice for him is a 180 gr roundnose on top of 6.5 gr of Trail Boss. Very mild, maybe 800 FPS
I also load for my son-in law that hunts with his .45 Colt Ruger Balckhawk. He gets a 300 gr bullet on top of 18 gr of Accurate # 9. This load is more powerful and suitable for Blackhawks and Contenders only, it runs about 1100 FPS.
The 45 Colt is most enjoyable to load for. It's extrmely versatile, it's quite forgiving, and the supply of components and data are almost endless. Great cartridge to learn on. 
GH1
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: 45LC CONVERSION SHOOTING
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »
+1 on .45 colt.  My go to plinker load is 200 gr. RNFP over 6 gr. Unique.  Inexpensive, non-existent kick and accurate.  I've put a cylinder full in little more than 1" at 25 yards.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.