Author Topic: Loading question.  (Read 590 times)

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Loading question.
« on: September 09, 2012, 07:59:24 AM »
I loaded my 58 with 25 gr pyrodex powder, wonder wad and .457 round ball. I have a long way before the balls get close to flush, my loading handle bottoms out. Whats going on ? I'm using a traditions measure, the tube type for rifles with the funnel on the end. (I double checked the charge with a pistol powder measure and it's the same.)

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Loading question.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:21:54 AM »
Anyone. :)

Offline Hellgate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
If you are using Pyrodex P, it is very spongy (compressible). You may well be compressing it just fine. As to its power, it is equivalent to an equal volume of black powder in its (Pyro) uncompressed state. I would expect that you could fill the chambers right to the brim and still be able to pack the charge down far enough to get the ball seated deep enough for the ball to clear the barrel (this would be without a wad). PyroP really packs down. If you are getting good smooth firing then you are just fine. I found that unless I packed the Pyro-P down pretty hard I got delayed ignition using wads in my Colt '52 44s. I got paBOOM! instead of just BOOM! If you were to weigh those 25gr charges they are gonna weigh less than 25 grs. No worries. Use it volume for volume (uncompressed) as a BP substitute.
Gun control=OSHA for criminals

Hellgate
SASS#3302
DGB#29
NRA Life

Offline Gatofeo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »
The 1858 Remington rammer doesn't reach down into the chamber as far as the Colt design. With smaller charges, it may not reach far enough to compress the powder under the wad and ball.
The solution is simple: cut a short length of 7/16" hardwood dowel to place in the chamber, under the rammer. This essentially extends your rammer to reach farther down in the chamber.
An even simpler solution is to use TWO wads under the ball. This extends the load length, so the rammer can reach it.
Or, you can use a filler on top of the powder charge, then add the wad, and then seat the ball. A good filler is corn meal, because it's slightly compressible. Though Cream o' Wheat is often recommended, I don't like it because it's not very compressible. Add too much C o' W and it makes seating the ball below flush much more difficult. Corn meal's compressibility makes it more forgiving as to the amount you add.
I carry a few of the above dowel lengths in my shooting box, in case I underload my Remington 58. They don't take up much room, but can be lifesavers. But I also keep a large pill bottle of cornmeal in the box, and scoop it into the revolver chamber with an old Lee plastic powder scoop.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."