Author Topic: Full length forearm  (Read 545 times)

Offline NH Yankee

• Trade Count: (1)
Full length forearm
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:53:18 AM »
My 45-70 shot 1"-1 1/4" MOA with the pallet stock.  I put a full Monte Carlo butt on along with a full length forearm.  Now I had to add 1/16" to the forearm to make the fixture on all stocks look correct.  I also had to elongate the hole in order to get the, what I think, is the correct position.  Now, I may have added too much length and that is an easy fix.  Here is what happened at the range yesterday;  At 100 yd it would shoot 3-4 feet to the right (no wonder the shooter next to me looked strange).  I am sure that it is the forearm.  Any suggestions will be looked at.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Full length forearm
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:55:17 AM »
I am not sure about some of your nomenclatures. "Fixture on all stocks look correct" not sure what fixture you are referring to. I do know that if it is shooting 3-4 feet to the right with the same scope setting you had before, that there is pressure on the left side of the barrel, that is pushing it to the right. It could be pressure from your forearm pushing it over. Fix - open up the fore end on the left side to relieve pressure on the left side of the barrel. The fore arm is jammed up against the frame, putting pressure on the left side more than the right side. Fix - take off some material on the fore arm so that the barrel is slightly loose when open. Your old stock may have been pushing too much on the right side and you had to adjust your scope to the right to compensate. Fix - Adjust your scope to shoot to the left more. Just a few ideas.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 05:06:30 AM »
Hi,

Link below to schematic of the Handi rifle so you can find the correct names for the parts.

BB

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,175496.msg1098832401.html#msg1098832401
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Fred243

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:22:36 AM »
My first thought would be something is loose. There would have to be an awful lot of pressure on the left side of the barrel I would think to make it shoot 3-4 feet right. Is the barrel free floated, or are you wanting it bedded in the forend ? Does the barrel open up really easy or is it still kinda stiff and hard to open ? Is it the same scope as before ? Sorry for all the questions !

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
Put the old stock and forearm back on. ;)

Spanky

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »
it is absolutely a bedding problem with the forearm.  put a couple washers or o-rings between the barrel and forearm at the mounting stud to float the forearm to "prove" the bedding problem.  Then open the barrel channel and bed the forearm to the barrel as needed
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 12:13:10 AM »
My 45-70 shot 1"-1 1/4" MOA with the pallet stock.  I put a full Monte Carlo butt on along with a full length forearm.  Now I had to add 1/16" to the forearm to make the fixture on all stocks look correct.  I also had to elongate the hole in order to get the, what I think, is the correct position.  Now, I may have added too much length and that is an easy fix.  Here is what happened at the range yesterday;  At 100 yd it would shoot 3-4 feet to the right (no wonder the shooter next to me looked strange).  I am sure that it is the forearm.  Any suggestions will be looked at.

I agree with the guys, I don't understand your discriptions, maybe you could add a picture?

3-4 FEET is a aweful lot of pressure to be the forend alone... even on a UL barrel I doubt you could do it... (Not doubting you word!) Just saying I think something else is going on here.

Post up again with different discriptions, so we can better help you.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline NH Yankee

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 02:46:57 AM »
The fixture on the stock is the forearm spacer and the hole is where the underlug is.  After looking it over, there is pressure on the left side of the underlug even though I have elongated the hole.  When I bore sighted the scope it appears that it is off by about 4 inches.  I am going to put the old forearm on and shoot it.  It is a great shooter and I want to use it soon for hogs.  Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

NH Yankee