Author Topic: OK the real deal.  (Read 963 times)

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
OK the real deal.
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:12:43 PM »
We all hear the horror stories about brassers, lets hear real loads, round counts and damage reports. A real live testemony.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Re: OK the real deal.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:49:32 AM »
I thought so. ;)

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »
CVA Remington '63 pocket, around 600 rounds, 8gr. FFFg + "O" buckshot and .312 felt wad. Still worked fine when I sold it.

Pietta '58 Remington 44, 25gr. FFFg, .454" ball, .460" felt wad, 250 rounds so far, still works fine.

"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Gatofeo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 12:53:17 PM »
Late 1970s brass-framed 1860 Colt in .44 caliber. Made in Spain, as I recall.
Full loads of DuPont FFFG black powder, with .451 ball and Crisco. After a few hundred rounds, a negative imprint of the cylinder rear was impressed into the brass frame below the hammer channel. Wedge had to be driven in nearly flush to keep barrel assembly tight to frame. I don't recall checking the tightness of the cylinder pin, but it was probably loose in the frame too as this is a common ailment of brass-framed revolvers.
Gave up on brass-framed revolvers after that. I also realized, and still believe, that brass-framed revolvers are not as well made as their steel-framed counterparts. It's as though the factories slap them together, not investing as much effort in fit, finish, materials and the hardening of small but critical parts. There's a reason they're cheaper: they're not as well made. At least, that's my observation over 40-plus years of shooting cap and ball revolvers. Yes, there are some well-made brass-framed revolvers out there, and I've seen them, but they're not as well made as those made of steel.
My 2 cents worth.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »
I had a '51 .44 brass frame. ASM I think. I would fill the chambers until the balls started shaving. After a while the cylinder was driven into the breach so far it wouldn't go around easily.  Center pin loosened up and I had to shim the wedge. I finally gave up and got a steel Remington. After about 30 years I sold it on this forum as an accurate target pistol. That is where you throw the entire pistol at the target.       P.A.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill