Author Topic: Any word why H&R dropped the 450 Marlin??  (Read 640 times)

Offline baughbob

• Trade Count: (0)
Any word why H&R dropped the 450 Marlin??
« on: February 08, 2004, 03:42:29 PM »
Any reasons given for H&R dropping the 450 Marlin from their Ultra line?  I know that you can still get it under the additional barrel program.  I bought my Ultra 450 Marlin last fall and have been pleased with it.
Tennessee Single Shot

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Any word why H&R dropped the 450 Marlin
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 03:51:58 PM »
baughbob,
  Welcome. I would imagine it didn't have the volume of sales they had hoped for. I was surprised to see the whole Ultra-comp lineup go, and also the .357 mag. It's a funny thing, but people buy H+R/NEF guns because they can get them at a low cost, and they still do the job. Then they want to see the features that are on higher priced guns, put on these. It seems the current direction has turned towards offering more stainless steel guns. Who knows where it will go next year. I guess wherever sales takes them. Be glad you got yours when you did.
Don

Offline JPH45

Any word why H&R dropped the 450 Marlin
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 04:17:50 PM »
I will be surprised to see ammo for this offered in another couple of years.  Seems that Garrett and Corbon began offering 45-70 loadings tht were the equivilent of the reloading manuals "Lever Action" or "Class 2 Action" pressure level loadings. Within what, a year or so maybe 18 months, Marlin created and marketed the 450 Marlin. A lot has been written and speculated on as to the offering of this round. In short, it is a Class 2  level loading of a 458 caliber bullet, in a case with almost identical volume to the 45-70, with a larger diameter belt to prevent it from being chambered in something like a 300 Win Mag or a 375 H&H. The bottom line is that it is a hopped up 45-70 in a modern case design. It is more powerful than the ammo oferings form Winchester, Remington or Federal, who continue to load 45-70 ammo as though it may be used in a Trapdoor Springfeild. Overall, the cartridge has been met with all the warmth one would give a damp mop. Those who were reloading the 45-70 hotter than factory ammo, continued to do so. Those who were shooting the 45-70 only with factory ammo, continued to do so. A few, perhaps like yourself, who wanted to buy something warmer than factory 45-70 offered, bought the 450. Some I am sure bought it because it was something new. The nice thing in your favor is that it uses the same bullets as the 45-70, so there will never be a shortage. I would, in your place, either buy up an extra box of ammo every chance I got, or begin reloading and buy an extra 50 cases or so every chance I got, as the belt being larger than the belt on an H&H derived case leaves out the possibility of making brass from 458 Winchester or similar. It will be interesting to see how long Marlin offers the chambering....... :(
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc