Author Topic: Glock vs Springfield XD / Caliber  (Read 1300 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Glock vs Springfield XD / Caliber
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:52:11 AM »
Hi All,

I know this is a well worn subject, but I was looking for input on these to guns. I want to know about reliability, caliber selection, etc. I checked out full frame versions of both guns and liked the XD better, but that's all I know right now. I only own SA revolvers and know little about autos.

I was wondering also about caliber choice ; I was thinking of either .40 s&w or .357 sig. They both seem like good SD rounds and I always can seem to find the .357 sig ammo around during these "scares" (probably because no one has one!). Also I reload so I'm not TOO worried about ammo availability. I'm leaning towards the .357 sig but was wondering about the trigger, feeding, accuracy, and mostly recoil.

Any input would be appreciated.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Glock vs Springfield XD / Caliber
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
Nice thing about the Glock, is if you buy one in .40 or .357, you have the option of also purchasing an aftermarket barrel in 9mm for cheap practice.  Not sure if this is an option with the XD's.  Shot XD's some, the Glocks a lot more, and personally, I like Glocks.  About as reliable as it gets, and a huge aftermarket in place.  Lots of guys like their XD's though.  Recoil can be a little snappy with both the 357 and 40, more so then a 9mm, but not bad.  Most LEO who use these rounds have no problem with shooting them effectively.  Best to handle each, and see what feels better in your hand, what features and trigger pull you like more.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
I agree with Big Easy. I prefer a Glock to the XD. For me the G23 apitimizes a PD handgun. BUT you will likely be just fine with either.

My good friend has the XD because he cannot reach the trigger on the Glock. He also does not like the lack of a manuel safety.

I suggest you go shoot them both and let the guns ''talk to you''. It will become appraent which is your best choice. Both are proven reliable choices.

One I want to look hard at is the new S&W MP VTAC!!  ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:31:20 PM »
I've fired the XD, but don't remember much other than it did go off when I pulled the trigger. I am a Glock armorer, or was before I retired, and have fired thousands of rounds of 40 & 45 thru both, and a pretty good amount of 9mm. At a Glock school in Dallas Tx, I shot a Glock 17 that had over 250,000 rounds thru the barrel and slide. Three frame and trigger mechs, had been replaced but the gun shot as good as a new one.
357 sig, is a cheap trick to sell a souped up 9mm. It's a 40 cal case necked down to 9mm, and I personally am not a fan of 9mm. I have owned numerous Glock 21s, and 23s, but the Glock 23  in 40 cal. in my opinion is one of the best, if not the best for me, pointing and shooting pistols I have ever trained with, and carried.
As Bigeasy said, they are reliable, and for me, are the most reliable pistol I have ever shot extensively. Good luck.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
  ;) A friend of mine who is a police officer suggested I handle both the xd and glock when I was considering purchasing an auto..I did and for me, the xd pointed b etter..for others the glock is the ticket..I have had mine for about 7 years and it has been excellent performance..

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:19:07 AM »
Big Easy and Dee pretty much said it all. Proven reliability, and parts availability are huge factors to me. In this political climate, parts availability may become a critical factor. If I were buying a pistol today that might be the last one I could buy, it'd be a Glock 23 for the above reasons, as well as caliber conversion capability. The ability to use both 9mm and .40 may become a big factor as well. Nothing against the xd. I have shot them in three calibers and two sizes. Problem is, they don't have the track record, or the parts availability of the Glock. Add to that the pure simplicity of maintenance/parts replacement, that can be done with a nail if need be. For me it's an easy choice.
Savage 
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 01:24:44 AM »
For ME, Glunk is a good name---it feels like glunk in MY hands.
You get the one (or both) that you like.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:27:05 AM »
It boils down to - either you want to have to remember to clear the safety or not.
I have shot an XD once so no expert there . I also took the Glock arm class and a tune up class also. I have owned severa and used them for IDPA , three gun and carry. I carry one while hunting or fishing often.
I had a 23 that would not feed it was before I took the class so I have no idea why it would not feed . It was a factory rebuilt police trade in . Here is my point the factory repaired it no ? ask. When returned it was the same ser # but the gun looked like a new one and it was well worn when sent. It was tight like a new gun . They also sent a couple  HI-CAP mages along . Now that is great service and the turn around was a week or so.
 As for cal. 40 something  ;D  The 23 is a great gun in 40. The 27 is nice also but I liked the 23 better . Had one in 357 sig didn't care for it loud 9mm. The 45 is great but either larger or less round count. The 10 mm is like the 45 but it packs a punch I like it . The 9 is nice on the range to save ammo money .

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 09:02:54 AM »
I've owned several Glocks; 21, 30, 23, 26,&27. All except the 30 were excellent. I currently own two XD's; a Tactical and
a Sub-Compact. For me it is a toss-up. Buy the one that feels the best in your hand. As to caliber go 40.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »
never cared for the xds they just feel to clubby in my hand. I choose the glock and side with dee and shootall in that my favorite is the 23
blue lives matter

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 11:53:01 PM »
Bought an XD 9 with 4" barrel soon after they became popular in USA.  Prior to buying, shot several Glocks and found that the XD fit my large hand better so went with the XD.  Nothing bad to say about Glocks.  Their record speaks loudly along with their success.  Just like the XD.  Feel the .357 sig is just more expense for something so loud.  Don't believe a .40 is necessary for protection and it is also pricey to shoot.  Found that a 9mm is cheap to practice and in today's marketplace, there is excellent ammo available for any type of purpose including protection.  My model XD does not have a safety so I never have to concern myself with that.  Just enjoy shooting anything but the XD is special.

Offline eastbank

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 01:33:45 AM »
i go this glock 22 in s&w.40 with a extra 15 round magazine for a car pistol and i like it,light and dependable. eastbank.

Offline Bigmagnum

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »
I have acquired both the G21 and XD in 45. I have big paws but still prefer the grip feel on the XD. I have carried both as duty weapons and never thought twice about it. Though the Glock is pretty much corrosion resistant I live/work in Louisiana you should as a habit routinely take out your sidearm and give it a quick wipe down anyway. As far a cal get what makes you happy all carry plenty of rounds.

The wicked flee when no man pursueth:

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »
I own both Glock and XD's. If I had to get just one it would without a doubt be a Glock.  Nothing wrong with my XD 45 or my XD40sc. For me the 40 or 45 is the way to go.  I have a Glock 21 , 30 and a Glock 20. bought a 40 barrel for my Glock 20 as well. Thought about getting the 357 Sig barrel for the Glock 20, but have not made the decision as of yet. I do have a Sig in 357 Sig. You really can't go wrong with any of these rounds, but I like the bigger holes.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline kmittleman

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I ended up ordering an XD in .45 ACP. We'll see how she does!

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »
You will be happy with your XD I have the .45 and the 9mm.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 01:11:01 AM »
Got an XDS on order in 45ACP.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
buddy of mine LOVES his XD 45.  when i had a chance to get a XD-sc in 40 I jumped on it.  a couple days after I got it, I was able to get a Glock 23 .40 police buyback.  That one hasn't "arrived" yet since the dept is just starting the change-over.   Two great handguns in less than a couple weeks--BTW, wife isn't too happy about it, but I've been down this road before  ;)
pretty sweet deal-I went from a little Bersa Thunder in the closet to tow awesome handguns that I can't wait to shoot!  another buddy reloads so I've already amassed components for 1000 rds.  I feel like a kid at Christmas.
now it's time to practice, practice, practice.  Luckily I have some ccw 'vets' and a range instructor to give me pointers.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
Good order on the XD.
Looking at the different plastic guns.  I am not sure there is a real diff between the Glock, S&W M&P, XD, Ruger 95, or the Sig Pro.
I think the grip angle and the feel in your hand is going to do more for you than anything else.
As far as caliber.  again personal preferance between 9, 357 Sig, 40, and 45 acp.
As far as the 357 sig it would be my last choice as it is expensive. i think confidance in being able to hit what you are aiming at and the only way to do that is to shoot and shoot.  See if you can find a Steel shoot, Tactical shoot, or IDPA shoot and go to it a few times.  Do not get discouraged if you do badly, it should be a call to go more often and get better. 
 I do own 3- 9mm, 2- 40S&W's and one 45 ACP as semi autos go.  I would not feel undergunned with any of them.  I would grab one or two over some of the others. 

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 04:04:45 AM »
A friend of mine bought an XDS in 45 ACP. He soon discovered it will not fully chamber cast bullets at .452 inches. They chamber 90% then tightly jam. Jacketed bullets at .451 inches work fine.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.