Author Topic: About winter tinkering  (Read 716 times)

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
About winter tinkering
« on: February 08, 2004, 04:34:20 PM »
Back in the old country I posted about making some .22 hornet rounds to accept 209 primers. Well I finally got my barrels back from NEF so I tried them out. The results were very interesting.

Jacketed bullets will hit the target but thats about it, didn't work so well.

22cal air rifle pellets will penitrate a 3/4" pine board and dent my steel pellet trap(after going thru the board) and seem to be pretty accurate.

Useing  magnum pistol primers with the pellets shot well but bounced off the board, they grouped well but hit about 3.5" lower than the 209s.

all in all it was fun to do, and I think you could rid your  yard of pest with this combo of 209s and pellets if ya wanted to.

Was it worth it ? not really but sure was fun to try. I think I'll load up some more :twisted:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Badnews Bob

About winter tinkering
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 05:32:10 AM »
8) Experminting around with this last night and I  was able to shoot some 1/4 inch groups with the 209/22 pellet combo, till the barrel got dirty. A quick pass thru with a barrel brush and rightback to small groups. Good fun. :wink:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline naedlaen

• Trade Count: (0)
About winter tinkering
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 07:12:00 AM »
Bob,

Any ideas as to how the 209 primer load compares to the 22 air rifles?

Neal

Offline Badnews Bob

About winter tinkering
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 08:06:31 AM »
I'm not real sure but my .177 spring gun@ closer to 1000FPS won't penitrate that same pine board.The impact seems to be alot harder, I may have to take it out to the woods and try it for range and effect on squills. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
About winter tinkering
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 08:10:27 AM »
Do you think the same could be done with the 223?

That might just make my 223 into a squirrel rifle?  Hmmm, now that's an interesting notion.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Badnews Bob

About winter tinkering
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 08:16:47 AM »
:shock: Yep Haywire tried the pellets in his savage with standard rifle primers last nite outta his long barreled Savage I think with the 209 primers it would work real well, big diff in the power of those compared to a regular primer. :grin:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired