Author Topic: Scope Contamination  (Read 457 times)

Offline skoutfitter

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope Contamination
« on: February 08, 2004, 02:53:05 PM »
I posted a reply yesterday regarding my new Sightron II 3x9x42 scope that had dust and other debris in the tube that could be viewed looking through the objective lens.  Today I was mounting  a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 cscope I got for Christmas and found dust inside that scope as well.  Has anyone else been experiencing this problem.   :x
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Scope Contamination
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 05:53:30 AM »
It's not nearly as uncommon as you might think for such to be in scopes or binoculars. If it can ONLY be viewed from the Objective end it really will not adversely affect your use of it. Now when it becomes visible from the eye piece it could become a problem. Chances are tho it is located in a place that will never be in the viewing plane.

Back in the days when I build binoculars for a living we did in fact look thru that objective end and if we could see any trash at all it was too much and we had to get it out. Inspection would reject any trash seen anywhere even from the objective end. But in reality it isn't that big a deal unless and until it gets into the focal plane.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline skoutfitter

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope Contamination
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 06:21:43 AM »
Thanks for the info Graybeard.  I checked my Leupolds, Nikon & Weaver and all were clear.  Only the Sightron and Burris had the problem.  My replacement Sightron arrived today and is free of contamination so I will be sending the Burris back for an exchange as well.  Would rather deal with this now as they are brand new than sometime down the road after they have been mounted and used.    Thanks for adding the NEF board alot of people were pretty upset with what happened with the H&R company and you folks came through and in record time.   :D
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Scope Contamination
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 08:23:53 AM »
Glad to help out. From what I've heard your chances of getting the Burris back in same conditions is real good. That is a real common complaint against them on the internet. I've seen it in them personally a bunch but never bothered to return one for it.

When I worked for the US Army building binoculars we coated the inside of them with a VERY light coating of silicone grease to catch and hold anything loose that might be in there. Too much made a real mess as folks found out when they used too much. Like Brellcream, a little dab will do ya.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!