Author Topic: Had to put down a buffalo today  (Read 914 times)

Offline stomp

• Trade Count: (0)
Had to put down a buffalo today
« on: February 07, 2004, 03:53:45 PM »
Guys this was a sad day for me :cry: . The folks that I have worked 33 years  for own six buffalo. A three year old bull that was born on the farm that I had rasied was fighting with another bull that we have that is much bigger. Our ground conditions are terrible here ice and ruts in the pasture does not make a very good place to fight if you are a buffalo. So the three year old came up with a broken leg. I had to put him down :cry: I have 223 ultra but decided to go with my Rem. 700 BDL 30.06 220 gr. This is one shot that did not want to take! I think I will be adding a 30.06 barrel to my ultra. By no means am I bragging about this kill, but what I considerd close to a heart shot at about 30 yards he dropped and died instantly :cry: This one of the hardest things that I have done in a long time. I just wanted to share this with you guys. I thought it would make me feel better to talk about it, but it doesn't.
Be carefull where you shoot!
Only whats done for Christ will last.. <><

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 04:02:11 PM »
Stomp,
  Sorry to hear this, it sounds like he was like a pet to you. I have had that grief in the past, having to shoot a favorite dog I had. It bothered me for a long time, and in a way it still does.
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 04:18:22 PM »
My dad shot one of my dogs when I was a kid.  It was a Collie with the hip disorder they get.  I could never shoot a pet.  I have taken them to the vet and that isn't much easier.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 04:29:40 PM »
Stomp sorry for your lost.....  But just remember his is not in pain any more so what you did was very humane.

Dave H.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 04:48:51 PM »
Stomp: You and I both know they're just farm animals, but you sweat blood birthing calves. You know you've raised them just for market, but just having to desroy one always hurts. Last year I had to put down my dog. <><  :( Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline stomp

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 12:04:05 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind words. It means alot!!!! This forum is going be a totaly awesome place to hang out. Duce don't you live up around Indy? I think we chatted about the gun show at Indy one time. I live about 90 miles south of Indy.

Again Thanks Guys  :D
Be carefull where you shoot!
Only whats done for Christ will last.. <><